Caolan Lavery has claimed his temporary switch to Portsmouth can bolster his aspirations of forcing himself back into Sheffield Wednesday chief Carlos Carvalhal’s long-term plans.
The striker, who was born in Canada, was loaned out to the League Two side last month, having struggled to command a regular first-team place at Hillsborough.
Lavery has grabbed two goals in seven Portsmouth appearances and is poised to remain at Fratton Park until January 19.
While the 23-year-old says he is enjoying playing regular first-team football again, he believes he can still play a part in Wednesday’s promotion bid.
He told The Star: “I have played a few times for Wednesday over the past few years and been a part of the set-up so obviously I would like to be part of Sheffield Wednesday going forward.
“I have enjoyed every year I have been at the club and get on really well with the lads and coaching staff.
“If I continue to do what I am doing at Portsmouth, score goals and get my sharpness 100 per cent, I would like to think I still have a chance at Wednesday.”
In recent months, Wednesday have surged up the Championship table, losing just one of their last 13 matches in all competitions.
Lavery, who has played twice for the Owls this season, said: “They have been absolutely brilliant. I could tell when I was there that the squad which has been put together was really good and there is a real buzz around the place.
“With the squad Wednesday have and the way they are playing and scoring goals, I don’t see why the play-offs wouldn’t be their goal at the minute. They have got brilliant players all over the pitch, starting with the goalkeeper right the way through to the strikers.”