Out of sorts and out of the League Cup - 10 man Tigers beaten by Barton


Out of sorts and out of the League Cup - Worksop Town yet again failed to perform against one of the NCEL Premier’s better sides.

Partial floodlight failure cast a gloomy atmosphere at Sandy Lane, and the football did little to lighten the mood as Barton Town Old Boys progressed with a 2-0 victory.

The second half sending off of goalkeeper Jon Kennedy made life nigh on impossible for Tigers, but truth be told they were poor for large parts of the contest.

They could have had a lightning quick start, Andy Ofosu crossing for Steve Woolley inside the first minute, the midfielder curling the ball onto the crossbar.

At the other end Barton skipper Ashley Dexter came close with an early header, Kennedy blocking with his feet at the near post.

That was the first of two corners in quick succession that Worksop defended very badly.

A bit of enterprise from Ofosu took him into the clear, having robbed Gareth Barlow, and after cutting in from the right he brought a save from Ryan Ramsden.

Then followed a period of relative calm, with neither side presenting much in the way of a threat.

The next goalmouth action came on the half hour mark, and it was a corner that troubled Worksop again, Kennedy dropping the ball and sparking a scramble that somehow didn’t result in a goal.

Tigers reacted, Ofosu running at the Barton defence and then sending a lovely effort over Ramsden and against the bar.

The second half was three minutes old when Barton took the lead - Tigers failing to deal with a move down the right, and allowing the ball to be worked into the middle where Jake Cawsey reacted to score, after Kennedy made an initial save.

Worksop Town were incensed at the referee when he took a good look at a challenge on Mitch Husbands in the box, and decided there was no foul.

Seconds later Tigers managed to put together a couple of passes and James Cottingham got in at the back post, but passed it right across goal with no team-mate in a position to finish.

The game slipped away from Worksop with a moment that summed up their form of late - Cottingham playing a back pass that put Kennedy under pressure, he couldn’t clear and instead tripped the Barton striker to earn a straight red card and concede a penalty.

Husbands went in goal for Tigers but Ashley Lattimore sent him the wrong way with the spot-kick.

With time running out there was a half chance for the hosts, Jamie Hadfield dinking a ball to the back post where Ross Henshaw rose but couldn’t meet it.

And it should have been 3-0 but Husbands made a great stop with his feet to deny a completely unmarked Cawsey.

Worksop: Kennedy 6, Cottingham 4, Steade 4 (Ward 61), LAWRENCE 6 Hadfield 6, Henshaw 6, Woolley 5 (Elliott 83), Harrison 4 (Roe 83), Husbands 6, Ofosu 5, Waddle 4. Subs: Cooke, Adam.

Barton: Ramsden, Fisher, Mortimer, Barlow, Dexter, Vernon, Sherwood, Darwood, Owen (Pordue 90+2), Lattimore, Cawsey. Subs: Bedford, Start, Kyle.

Referee: Mr A. Dallison. Assistants: Mr K. Guise, Mr M. Thomas

Goalscorers: Cawsey 48, Lattimore 67

Yellows: Cottingham 42; Mortimer 45

Reds: Kennedy 65

Attendance: 204