No one guaranteed starting shirt yet warns Worksop Town boss

Matty Sykes - goalscorer against Sheffield
Matty Sykes - goalscorer against Sheffield

Worksop Town boss Craig Denton warned that no one was guaranteed a starting shirt yet this season after two more decent friendly displays

Worksop drew 0-0 with Mickleover Sports on Friday, two days after a fine 2-1 victory against Sheffield FC as the pre-season games came thick and fast for the Tigers.

“The shirts are always up for grabs and if people aren’t willing to work for them then I’ll be having them back,” he said.

“I have an idea who is in my 16, but there’s one or two on holiday who will need to fight and get back up to scratch to compete with these lads who played today as no one is guaranteed a starting spot for Worksop Town.”

The stalemate with NPL Mickleover was a highly-contested affair with both sides defending very well and Tigers having a penalty saved.

Denton said: “We knew that they were going to be a tough side.

“They’re two leagues above and you could tell that with their fitness but we matched them.

“I was delighted at half-time because we had held our own.

“In the second half the keeper made a good save from the penalty and we could have won 1-0, but you don’t get any points in pre-season so it’s just about being tested and make sure we’re in and around and competing with teams like Mickleover Sports.

“There were long periods of time where they kept the ball but we also looked good on the ball and going forward.”

Garnett almost gave Mickleover the lead in the opening stages as he latched onto Turner’s through-ball, but he saw his shot saved well by Francis who pushed it wide.

On the half-hour mark, a trialist from Mickleover took advantage of a Royles lapse in concentration and took the ball down before curling his shot onto the post.

Then on the stroke of half-time, Templeton took the ball away from his marker before seeing his thunderous strike cannon off the post and out for a goalkick.

Five minutes into the second period, Worksop missed from the spot.

Tom Burgin handled Tom Poole’s shot in the area leaving the referee no choice but to point to the spot. Simpson stepped up but saw his penalty parried away by the keeper.

There were further chances at both ends of the field as Tom Burgin saw his header saved and then caught by Francis. The ball was pumped upfield where Goodwin saw his fierce strike saved down low by the keeper.

The last 10 minutes were all Mickleover as Jarman, Doran and Garnett all drew fantastic saves from substitute James Gamble.

Against Sheffield, Sykes opened the scoring for Tigers six minutes in as he volleyed Atherton’s excellent cross past Ingham.

The Tigers dominated the rest of the half and limited the Evo-Stik side’s attacking prowess.

The second half was more fiery and Sheffield F.C. equalised through Jamie Yates.

Yates received a corner short and he proceeded to run the length of the area before curling an effort past the grasp of David Reay.

But Tigers won it thanks to a goalkeeping mistake. Harley Wilson’s through-ball, intended for Matty Templeton, was mis-kicked by Jamie Ingham and the ball rolled into the bottom corner.

The Tigers then saw the game out for an impressive win over a side a step above them.