Nine points from three vital games

TIGERS will be glad to see the back of strugglers Ossett Town this season.

The relegation threatened side thumped Worksop 4-1 at Cannon Park, and made it difficult on their own pitch on Tuesday, although Tigers took a 3-2 win, making it three victories in a row.

There was a dream start for Worksop, who had manager Martin McIntosh at centre-back in place of the injured James Cotterill.

They opened the scoring after just 62 seconds, Chris Wood playing a one-two with Luke Beckett, darting into the box, and poking the ball past Neil Bennett in the Ossett goal.

Wood was then in action at the other end, making a well timed tackle to halt the progress of Dan Sheriffe,

Nathan Kemp had Ossett’s first attempt on goal, but his shot from distance was low and weak.

Worksop thought they had doubled their lead when Sam Duncum won a corner on the left and sent it all the way into the far corner of the net, only for the whistle to go for a foul.

Max Wragg’s clever ball to Beckett allowed the forward to play in Ben Tomlinson, who dummied and let Matt Young charge into the box.

The midfielder’s blast seemed to be goal bound but flashed wide.

It was 2-0 Worksop on 20 minutes, poor defending from the hosts allowing Tomlinson an opportunity that he took with relish, heading over the stranded Bennett.

Luke Shiels gave away a free-kick five yards outside the Tigers box, on the right, but former Worksop striker Kevin Sanasy put a poor ball into the area.

Luke Dean could have tested Worsnop from 18 yards with a volley, instead he fired over.

Duncum’s pace and skill troubled Ossett on a quick break, and he came close to scoring again with a lovely curling shot that just slid past the post.

A sweeping move from Tigers saw Terry Barwick link with Wragg, whose deep cross was nodded down by Beckett and the ball bounced over the bar.

The first 10 minutes of the second half yielded nothing more than a wayward shot from Duncum, who strode through the middle and conceded a throw in with his sliced effort.

Worksop were looking by far the more dangerous side, but on 61 minutes, a ball in from the right caused real problems for Worksop, and Sanasy was allowed to nod past Worsnop for 2-1.

Tigers looked to hit back straight away, but Ossett broke upfield again and Sheriffe very nearly equalised, beating Worsnop and watching in agony as Wood cleared off the line.

The visitors did fashion a chance of their own seconds later, but Beckett headed wide from Bettney’s free-kick.

Barwick received the game’s first yellow on 67 minutes for a deliberate handball.

A second goal for Tomlinson looked to have made the points safe with 18 minutes left.

A corner from the left came to McIntosh at the back post, he hooked the ball into the middle and Tomlinson turned it home on the half volley for his 25th of the season.

But four minutes later slack marking by Wragg at the back post allowed Sheriffe to clip the ball past Worsnop for 3-2 and the nerves were jangling again.

Beckett and several of his team-mates appealed loudly for a penalty after an apparent handball, but the referee was unmoved.

Danny Bacon replaced Bettney on 78 minutes, and Jamie Jackson came on for Beckett shortly after.

An offside flag was raised as ex-Sanasy broke into the visitors’ box to shoot at goal, and at the other end Jackson muscled his way past two defenders to blast at Bennett, who saved well.

Worsnop had to be quick off his line to come out and head to safety with Sanasy threatening to ruin his former employers’ night.

But on this occasion it was the current Tigers who celebrated at full-time.