Match report: Worksop Town progess in NCEL League Cup after beating Athersley in extra-time


Worksop Town made it safely through to the fourth round of the NCEL League Cup with a 3-1 win at Athersley Recreation after extra time.

Goals in extra time from Matthew Booth and Chris Whincop secured the victory after Lee Bennett’s second half goal cancelled out Tom Elliott’s opener to send the game in to extra time.

Mark Shaw made six changes to the side that defeated Handsworth Parramore including giving a debut to new signing McCauley Shillito.

The Tigers forced a couple of early corners whilst Anthony Mackie flashed a shot wide for the Penguins, but it was the Tigers that had the game’s first real opportunity When Jack Waddle’s pass found Elliott but with time and space the midfielder shot straight at Shaun Penn.

Daniel Joynes then had a shot blocked for the home side before Ben Townsend produced a good save to deny A Mackie with Sam Liversidge producing a diving header to clear Ryan White’s follow-up shot off the line.

Worksop immediately broke to the other end with Connor Smythe’s shot from 25 yards hitting the crossbar with the ‘keeper beaten.

As the half wore on the Tigers took control of the game as they imposed their passing style on the home side; deservedly taking the lead eight minutes before the interval when Smythe’s cross fell to Elliott who calmly slotted the ball home.

Worksop dominated the opening to the second half, Shillito firing just wide from 25 yards and then nearly extending the lead just past the hour mark when Elliott’s shot from Whincop’s cross was cleared off the line.

With 15 minutes remaining the Penguins made the Tigers pay for failing to make the most of their possession when A Mackie cut the ball back to Bennett who fired home from the edge of the penalty area via the underside of the crossbar.

Things could have got worse for the Tigers but for a magnificent goal line clearance by Tom Burgin that prevented Athersley from taking the lead after Townsend had partially blocked Joynes shot.

Shaw sent on Conor Higginson in place of Shillito and was immediately in the action, Burgin heading his corner against the crossbar with Sam Liversidge firing the rebound wide.

Higginson then saw an effort pushed round the post before dragging another shot just wide of the post.

As the Tigers threw everything at the Penguins Waddle’s shot was pushed onto the post by Penn in the 90th minute, then Jack Hawkins’ shot was well blocked before Booth saw another effort cleared off the line deep into stoppage time.

There was still time for Whincop to head just wide from Higginson’s corner before the game went into extra-time.

It was the visitors that controlled the extra 30 minutes and the Tigers regained the lead when Higginson dispossessed a defender before his cross-cum-shot fell to Booth to slot home from close range.

Higginson then flashed a shot just wide of the post as the Tigers continued to press.

And with five minutes of extra-time remaining the Tigers booked their passage into the next round when Mitch Husbands and Higginson combined to set up Whincop to fire home from six yards out to make the final score 3-1.

What do you think? Email your views to Stephen Thirkill