King’s ransom at Sandy Lane

Worksop Town FC v Frickley Athletic.  Gary King makes it 2-1 to Worksop Town FC  (w111228-2i)
Worksop Town FC v Frickley Athletic. Gary King makes it 2-1 to Worksop Town FC (w111228-2i)

Worksop Town took three points from their Boxing Day clash with near neighbours Frickley Athletic at Sandy Lane thanks to a last gasp winner from substitute Gary King.

Manager Simon Clark retained the same starting 11 that had been so successful against Tamworth and Hednesford Town, keeping faith with the 4-5-1 formation.

Worksop Town FC v Frickley Athletic.  Owain Warlow shoots the equaliser past Frickley keeper Stephen Dickinson  (w111228-2a)

Worksop Town FC v Frickley Athletic. Owain Warlow shoots the equaliser past Frickley keeper Stephen Dickinson (w111228-2a)

There were some familiar faces in the visitors set up with former Tigers manager Peter Rinkcavage now at the helm for Frickley alongside assistant Jason Maybury, and on the pitch were Ben Turner, James Ashmore, Alex Callery and Ryan Mallon.

It was a sluggish start to the game with no rhythm to the play. Tigers had a couple of early breaks but the final ball was poor.

The only danger to Jon Worsnop’s goal early in the game came from free-kicks on the edge of the 18 yard box.

The first one saw the wall block from Ashmore and from the second Turner blasted over the bar.

At the other end Luke Sharry shot wide from a good position and Owain Warlow headed wide from James Cotterill’s free-kick.

The first save from a keeper came in the 33rd minute.

A quick break by Warlow ended with a neat through ball for Jamie Jackson, his first time shot brought an excellent save from Stephen Dickinson in the Frickley goal.

The visitors were pushing forward and Danny South headed over, then Luke Shiels got back to deny the lively Brad Grayson before Frickley took the lead in the second minute of added time

Another unnecessary free -kick was conceded on the edge of the box and this time Ashmore found space to the left of the wall to curl it into the bottom corner.

Massiah McDonald was brought on in place of Sharry at the start of the second half as the Tigers reverted to a 4-4-2 formation.

Callery went close for the visitors and Turner again cleared the bar with a free-kick as the visitors went looking to increase their lead.

The change of formation was starting to get Tigers back into the game and a piece of Jackson magic nearly got him in on goal but a last ditch tackle from Mark Gray denied the little striker.

Warlow and Jackson linked up well but McDonald was fouled and had to leave the pitch for treatment.

While he was on the sideline Tigers got an equaliser.

A great move down the right involving Jackson, Mark Hudson and Ashley Burbeary ended with Warlow scoring from close range.

A minute later Jackson was found at the back post by a Hudson free-kick but his first time shot was blocked and cleared for a corner.

From the set-piece Shiels saw his header go inches over the bar.

On 64 minutes Hudson had to go off injured and he was replaced by Michael Jacklin with central defender Shiels moving into midfield.

A Frickley corner was punched by Worsnop out to Mallon 20 yards from goal but his chip was a weak one and Worsnop caught it.

With 21 minutes remaining the visitors were reduced to 10 men as Gray received a second yellow card for a high tackle on Cotterill.

A minute later and McDonald limped off with an ankle injury to be replaced by King.

Another bad foul on Cotterill, this time by Danny South saw a number of players squaring up to each other and following the melee Matt Young and South were yellow carded.

The hosts were now in control and Dickinson made an excellent save from a Shiels header, Young curled an effort inches wide from 18 yards and Dickinson was again in action to cut out Burbeary’s effort.

With the clock running down Tigers snatched victory in the fourth minute of added time.

Frickley skipper Stuart Ludlam tried to head the ball back to his keeper but King got there first and slipped the ball past a helpless Dickinson.

Worksop Town: Worsnop 6, Gardner 6, Wood 6, Young 6, Shiels 7, COTTERILL 8, Burbeary 6, Hudson 7 (Jacklin 64), Jackson 7, Sharry 6 (McDonald 45) (King 70), Warlow 7. Not used: Roberts, Wilson.

Frickley Athletic: Dickinson, Ludlam, Turner, Walsh, Adams, Gray, Callery, Ashmore, South, Grayson (Bleu 70), Mallon. Not used: Darley, Cyrus, Saynor.

Referee: Mr C Akers. Assistants: Mr C Graham and Mr M Kiecz.

Attendance: 434.