High-flying Worksop Town extend unbeaten run to 10 games with Barton Town Old Boys win

STILL UNBEATEN -- Belper United.
STILL UNBEATEN -- Belper United.

Worksop extended their winning run to nine games after a battling display earned a 3-2 victory over Barton Town Old Boys.

Tigers created the first chance with some patient build up play, ending with Kyle Jordan drilling a low shot just wide from outside the box.

Scott Drury as then fired into a fine finger tip save from a Jordan free kick, after Steve Woolley had been brought down on the edge of the box.

Barton had looked good on the ball early on, but the hosts took the lead on 20 mins through Tom Elliott. Some patient and incisive passing found he midfielder in the box, and he took a touch before burying left footed past the keeper.

Tigers should have had another straight afterwards, Andy Ofosu found himself clear of the defence but when he cut the ball back Jordan could not apply the finish, side footing his shot high and wide.

The home side were punished for the miss, as Barton equalized. The goal came out of nothing, a clipped ball over the top releasing Scott Phillips, who slotted the ball past Jon Kennedy on 27 mins.

Ofosu almost got on the end of a set piece move to restore the lead, but it was the visitors who grabbed the third on 29 mins. A free flowing counter attack ended as Phillips turned provider, his cross finished on the volley superbly by Henry Gill.

Jordan shot wide but Tigers went in 2-1 down at the break, not playing with the same flow and composure as we’d seen in recent weeks.

Mark Shaw made a tactical change at half time, replacing Jordan Cooke with Adam Ward, and Tigers made the first chance after the restart. Conor Higginson swing a cross in, but Jamie Hadfield could only head over.

The change has seemed to revitalise Tigers, as they forced an equalizer with Woolley heading home a whipped Higginson cross from close range on 58 mins.

Worksop had their tales up, forcing a corner shortly after the restart. From it came the lead on 60 mins, in bizarre fashion, as Conor Higginson’s delivery found the back of the net direct from the corner.

Both sides were then guilty of wasting golden opportunities. Gareth Owen missed a guilt edge chance to draw Barton level, somehow kneeing over the bar from two yards out. Then at the other end Ofosu shot over from close range after excellent work from substitute Adam Ward.

Barton really pressed for the equalizer, throwing players and long balls at the Tigers defence, with Woolley fantastically clearing off the line to deny visitors.

Ofosu and Ward had chances on the counter, but in the end Worksop held on to earn a crucial three points with a 3-2 win.

Tigers: Kennedy 7, Woolley 7, Waddle 7, Lawrence 7, HADFIELD 7, Cooke 6 (Ward 46) Higginson 7, Harrison, Ofosu 7 (Cottingham 90) Jordan 7 (Husbands 80) Elliott.

Subs not used: Sellars, Fereday.

Barton Town: Drury, Belcher, Gowen, Barlow, Dexter, Ricketts (Fisher 74) Owen, Kirk, Phillips, Lattimore, Gill (Darwood 63)

Subs not used: Vernon, Mortimer, Bemrose.

Yellow Cards: Ricketts 68, Harrison 81.

Goals: Elliott 20, Phillips 27, Gill 29, Woolley 58, Higginson 60.

Referee: Mr C. Hunter

Assistants: Mr J. Carter and Mr R. Davies.

Attendance: 463