Hednesford horror show for Tigers

Worksop Town v Hednesford Town.
Worksop Town v Hednesford Town.

Worksop Town suffered their third consecutive league defeat on Saturday, going down 4-0 to an excellent Hednesford side.

Goals from Nathan Woolfe, Aaron Rey and a brace from Elliott Durrell handed Tigers their heaviest league beating of the season so far.

In a twist of irony surely not lost on the visitors, it was the same scoreline when the sides met earlier in the campaign, when Tigers were victorious at Keys Park.

Simon Clark was able to select from an almost full strength squad with Leon Mettam, Luke Shiels and Ash Burbery all returning from injury, leaving only Craig King unavailable

Jake Scott has returned to Barnsley following the end of his loan spell.

Tigers started well, Leon Mettam’s shot was easily saved by Dan Crane after being set up by Jamie Jackson, then Tom Denton headed a Steve Towers free-kick just wide.

On eight minutes Worksop should have taken the lead when the ball deflected of a defender into the path of Mettam, but with only Crane to beat his shot was saved by the ‘keeper’s legs.

The Pitmen started to take a stranglehold on the game with Miller having to be alert to clear the ball off the line following a scramble in the penalty area from Woolfe’s cross.

Then a misplaced pass by Burbeary let in Rey down the left, his pass inside found Woolfe whose shot from 25 yards went just over.

Woolfe went close again on 23 minutes cutting inside from the left before firing straight at Paul Bastock.

A minute later Hednesford were ahead when Durrell’s shot deflected to the path of Woolfe who coolly slotted home from the edge of the penalty area, giving Bastock no chance.

Hednesford continued to press for a second goal, Durrell firing just wide from 25 yards; then Durrell’s free-kick from distance was safely gathered by Bastock.

As half-time approached Lee Ridley, who had been struggling following a knock, wasreplaced Lee Potts.

On the stroke of halftime the Pitman deservedly doubled their lead, Woolfe and Rey combining well down the left and when the ball broke to Durrell 22 yards out he calmly finished into the bottom corner.

There were more problems for Worksop when the Tigers star player in the first half, Shiels failed to reappear for the second half, unable to shake off a knock he picked up on the half hour mark, being replaced by Adie Hawes.

Hednesford started the second half strongly, Durrell firing over after being set up by Lennon; Rey then shooting over the bar from the edge of the penalty area.

On the hour mark only a magnificent close range save by Bastock denied Rey.

From the resulting corner both Durrell and Jamey Osbourne had shots charged down

Five minutes later it was 3-0.

Woolfe’s free-kick was headed clear to the edge of the penalty area to Durrell who sent it back goalwards, Bastock getting a hand to it but unable to keep it out.

As Hednesford continued to press McPherson’s cross just eluded Rey, then Rey went past Potts with ease before having his shot saved by Bastock.

On 89 minutes Hednesford completed the scoring when Tigers gave the ball away allowing Rey a free run on goal before calmly finishing past Bastock.

Worksop finished the game with only 10 men as Mettam was off the field receiving treatment, having already used up all their substitutions.

The final chance of the game fell to the influential Durrell after a mistake by Miller; however, his shot was well saved by Paul Bastock.

Worksop Town: BASTOCK 7, Clarke 5, Ridley 5 (Potts 39, 4), Young 5, (Telling 74), Shiels 7 (Hawes 45, 5), Miller 4, Jackson 4, Towers 5, Denton 5, Mettam 5, Burbeary 4. Not used: Beeson, Modest.

Hednesford: Crane, Melbourne, Campion, Bailey, Francis, McPherson, Osbourne, Durrell, Harvey (Lennon 16), Rey (O’Connor 90), Woolfe (Craven 85). Not used: Disney, Barnes.

Yellows: Young 73; Campion 56, Osbourne 57, McPherson 59.

Goals: Woolfe 24, Durrell 45, 65, Aaron Rey 89.

Attendance: 390.

Referee: G. Law. Assistants: S Wade, M Gupta.