Harworth knocked out of CMFL League Cup by local rivals Retford


Harworth Colliery tasted defeat for the first time since October after a 2-1 loss to local rivals Retford FC in the CMFL League Cup quarter final.

The tie was locked until three goals and two red cards in the last 10 minutes made for an eventful end to the game, which was not without controversy.

The first chance fell to the away side, as Lee Edmondson sent a 25-yard shot that beat Kennedy in the Retford goal but came back off the cross bar.

Shaun Mundy was then thwarted by Kennedy and minutes later Kennedy was to come off best again as Mundy went through one-on-one.

Jack Conley was then put through the static Retford defence, his shot beat Kennedy but went inches wide.

Dan Jones then made an excellent save from Woodhead as the home side had their best spell of the game and on the stroke of half time thought they had a chance to go ahead when the referee awarded them a penalty.

Lewis Frances had chested the ball off the line, the official deeming that he had used his hand.

The furious protests of the Harworth players convinced him to consult his assistant and the correct decision was made and the penalty overturned.

The second half started with Tomlinson missing a great chance for the home side to open the scoring, but then once again Harworth took over the game, only for Kennedy and some poor finishing to keep the game goalless.

On 80 minutes the Colliery were made to pay for their wasted chances when Tomlinson struck an excellent free-kick into the top corner, giving Jones no chance.

As the Colliery tried to get back into the game a very controversial incident occurred.

Both Foulds of Harworth and Campion of Retford were involved in an altercation which saw both players receive red cards.

The game was then held up as the officials tried to regain control of the situation and eventually the game restarted.

In injury time the away side thought they had taken the game to extra-time, Mackenzie Tomlinson firing home after Conley’s header was saved.

However with the last kick of the game Retford got the vital winner and headed into the semi final.