Goals galore in Central Midlands League

HUCKNALL Six-A-Side League update.
HUCKNALL Six-A-Side League update.

There may only have been three Central Midlands League matches on Tuesday, but the goals certainly flowed.

In the Black Dragon Badges South Division, on an emotional night, Bulwell and Keyworth United put on an a display which produced 10 goals, the Bulls finally coming out on top 6-4.

It took 32 minutes for the first goal to arrive, Conor Carter putting Bulwell in front, Conor Scott-Parkin levelling things three minutes later.

After Keyworth had been reduced to 10 men, Fisher grabbed his second to give his side the advantage at the break.

Scott-Parkin then equalised for a second time with a superb free kick, the visitors going in front thanks to an own goal.

The Bulls rallied, Fisher completing his hat-trick, Joe Harrison adding two with Sean Craven also scoring to put the Bulwell firmly in control before Keyworth’s Jake Corkhill had the last word five minutes from time.

Selston bounced back from Saturday’s defeat with a 4-1 win at Collingham.

Wayne Cooke gave them a seventh minute lead from the penalty spot, and despite Collingham hitting the post and having several near misses, that’s how it remained at the break.

Cooke added a second five minutes into the second half, Joe Riley putting the result beyond doubt in 62 minutes.

With the visitors tightening their grip on the game, sub Danny Houghton got their fourth as full time approached before Steven Smith got a very late consolation goal for Collingham.

In Wednesday night’s South Division fixtures, Matlock Town Reserves made it two wins from two after a thoroughly entertaining encounter at Hucknall Rolls Leisure saw them finish 4-2 to the good. Jack Siddall gave the visitors an eighth minute lead, but Rolls countered with a Rory Smith goal on the half hour.

Two goals in three minutes before half-time from Dave Edge and Siddall, with his second gave the impressive Matlock side a healthy interval lead.

The second half was more even, Chay Betteridge pulling a goal back on the hour, but hopes of a point were dashed on 82 minutes as Matt Wilkinson broke away to secure maximum points for the Gladiators.

Belper United had to come from behind twice to claim their second home draw in four days, as they fought out a 2-2 draw with Eastwood Community.

Warren Hatfield put Eastwood ahead on 18 minutes, but Joe Conkleton equalised direct from a free kick. Hatfield scored his second shortly before half time, but Belper’s Ben Stockley’s goal meant the points were shared.

In the North, Brodsworth Welfare and last season’s champions Bilsthorpe opened their seasons at the Welfare ground, Brodsworth proving the stronger, winning 3-0. Liam Taylor scored twice for the Doncaster side with Rod Pursehouse also on target.

After a goalless first 45 minutes at Brumby Hall, Appleby Frodingham turned up the heat to put four past Easington United without reply.

Nathan Watson scored Frod’s opener, adding a second on 65 minutes with Joe Moloney grabbing a third three minutes later.

Easington conceded a fourth a minute from the end, Dayle Hutson rounding off the night’s scoring.

Last Saturday Ollerton were victorious on the opening day of the new Central Midlands League North season after a 4-1 triumph away at Easington United.

Town lost 3-1 in the corresponding fixture last season, but this time Ollerton made the long journey back in a much better mood thanks to goals from Liam Carver, Jamie Charlton, Kyle Clarkson and Craig Stanton.

Ollerton started the game the brighter, playing some good football and creating the better of the chances.

However, against the run of play, Easington took the lead on 20 minutes. A crossfield ball wasn’t dealt with properly by Ollerton and Alex Dickinson was on hand to tap past Simon Smith.

A minute later however, Ollerton were level.

From kick off, the ball was worked out to Liam Carver on the left wing and his cross-come-shot found its way into the back of the net, beating Easington ‘keeper Charlie Holden.

Before the interval, Ollerton were ahead. The ball was played back to Holden in the Easington goal who hesitated which allowed Charlton to close him down and Holden’s attempted clearance struck Charlton and rolled into the net.

Ollerton moved 3-1 ahead just before the hour thanks to Clarkson. Charlton held the ball up well before playing Armstrong in down the left wing. The midfielder did brilliantly to get to the ball and whip in a cross for Clarkson who was waiting to tap home.

Charlton was involved again in Ollerton’s fourth. Ollerton captain Craig Stanton played him through with a brilliant ball and as he charged through on goal, Charlton saw his ankles clipped and the referee had no choice but to point to the spot.

Stanton stepped up to take the penalty and opened his account for the new season with a calm finish.

Glapwell kicked the new season off in style as they recorded an opening day 3-1 victory at Newark Town.

Glapwell were the better side throughout but had an early let off when Michael Minty’s effort from distance came crashing back off the crossbar.

Glapwell did take the lead, though, when Lee Naughton’s cross from the right took a slight nick off a defender and flew into the corner.

They had the ball in the net twice more before the break but on both occasions Josh Parfitt was denied by an offside flag, Glapwell also had legitimate penalty claims when Josh Clayton was bundled over before Parfitt struck a shot against the post.

Just after the hour, though, Glapwell took control when Ryan Cancellara’s cross from the left looped all the way into the far corner.

The home side pulled one back when a long ball over the top caught Glapwell out and Jake Reynolds chipped the ball over the advancing Ryan Hopkins.

Glapwell needn’t have worried though as they regained their two-goal advantage almost immediately after when Josh Clayton tapped home after the referee had played a good advantage when Daniel Russell was fouled in the area.

Phoenix showed much improved form towards the end of last season and they hit the ground running with a 4-1 defeat of debutants Dronfield Town Reserves.

Steve McDonnell was the season’s first hat-trick hero for Phoenix, Rob Gorman also on the scoresheet, Dronfield’s reply coming from Ashley Rycroft.

Retford made their entrance to the CML a successful one, travelling to Dinnington Town where two Will Tomlinson goals gave them the edge, the second one a well-flighted free kick.

In the South section, Eastwood Community were quickly out of the blocks at home to Pinxton, carrying on the form they displayed at the end of the last campaign.

A three goal blast in five first half minutes set them up for a notable 4-0 win with Tim Adcock, Kye Hall and Warren Hatfield putting them well in control by the half-hour mark.

Hall added a second on the stroke of half time, and despite a second half improvement, Pinxton couldn’t reduce the arrears.

Hucknall Town are another team of whom much is expected, and they also got off to a winning start with a 3-0 defeat of Collingham, playing their first CML game for 13 years.

Ben Waplington opened the scoring with just five minutes gone, Adam Nelson doubled the score on the hour, with Montell Gatland adding a third five minutes from the end.

Another team making a reappearance after a lengthy break are Selston, who had a see-saw battle at fellow newcomers Matlock Town Reserves, the Gladiators coming out on top 5-4.

Sean Gregory put Selston two up, Matlock pulling level before Carl Moore again gave the Notts side the advantage.

It was three-all at the break, Matlock taking a two goal lead before Joe Riley added Selston’s fourth. Scorers for the home side were Dave Edge with two, Marcus Beddoe, Alex Hewitt and Jack Siddall. The two teams transferred from the North division met at the ATB Civil Engineering ground and it was Sherwood Colliery who claimed the points with a 2-1 defeat of Clay Cross Town.

Tristan Burrell struck first for the Wood after just seven minutes, Mark Carter adding a second on 21.

The Millers upped their game in the second half but could only pull one back through Tomas Poole. The other three matches all ended deadlocked.

Keyworth United marked their league debut with a 2-2 draw at Swanwick Pentrich Road.

Dean Bussey and Luke Burrell scored Keyworth’s first league goals with Ian Milsom and Ash Buxton replying for the Swans.

Holbrook St Michaels led through Cornelius Ogunlade at Mickleover RBL, but Micky Moon clinched a point for the Legion.

Blidworth Welfare and Belper United played out a goalless draw.