Frightful night for Blyth Spartans as Worksop Town hit eight on Halloween

Worksop Town served up a Halloween treat with a stunning 8-1 win over visitors Blyth Spartans as Adie Hawes (2), Leon Mettam (2), Owain Warlow (2), Tom Denton and Lee Beeson got on the score sheet for the Tigers, writes Paul Stacey at Sandy Lane.

Simon Clark made one change from the side that started at Halesowen bringing in Tom Denton for Ash Burbeary who dropped to the bench in place of Matt Telling.

It was the visitors who had a glorious chance to take the lead on three minutes when they were awarded a penalty for a push in the back on Ryan McGorrigan by Hawes.

However, Joe Kendrick’s spot kick was magnificently saved by Paul Bastock low down to his left.

Minutes later the Tigers made Spartans pay as Mettam’s cross from the right found Denton unmarked to fire home from close range.

It was 2-0 on nine minutes when Denton’s header from Towers’ corner was cleared off the line, the ball falling to Hawes to slot home from six yards.

The Tigers were now rampant playing excellent football, Mettam volleying just wide from Warlow’s cross from the left.

But they did not have to wait long for the third as Mettam picked up Ryan Clarke’s cross, burying his shot in the bottom corner from the edge of the penalty area.

Jones gave the visitors a lifeline on 17 minutes, firing home from 12 yards as the ball broke to him from Neil Hooks’ ball into the box, his first goal for the Spartans. Worksop did not let the set-back affect them and were soon back on the attack, Denton having a shot well saved by Conor Grant, low down to the keeper’s left.

Just before the half hour mark the Tigers restored the three goal lead as Warlow went on a mazy run down the left going past three defenders before slotting the ball home into the bottom right hand corner.

It was 5-1 three minutes later; Craig King going on a good run down the right setting up Mettam whose shot was blocked by Grant, only for the ball to fall to Warlow who made no mistake from the edge of the penalty area. As Blyth tried to pull a goal back before the interval the Worksop defence held firm restricting them to long range shots from Hooks and McGorrigan which went harmlessly off target.

Worksop were soon back into their stride at the start of the second half as Mettam’s lob was clawed away for a corner by Grant. However, it was only a short reprieve as the resulting corner from Towers was headed powerfully home by Hawes on 49 minutes.

The Tigers continued to carve out chances with their fast free flowing football as firstly King put a header over after a superb move involving Towers, Warlow and Mettam, then Denton fired over from 20 yards after being set up by Mettam.

With eight minutes remaining excellent interchange play between L’heureux Menga, Mettam and King set up Matt Young, whose shot was parried onto the crossbar, the ball falling to Mettam who slotted home from four yards out.

Lee Beeson completed the rout on 88 minutes clipping the ball over the keeper after being set up by excellent work from Young.