Fourth win in a row puts Tigers firmly in top five

Worksop Town made it four consecutive league wins with a 3-2 victory at Ashton United on Saturday, as they consolidated their play-off position.

By The Newsroom
Tuesday, 19th November 2013, 9:25 am

Tigers were far from their best in what for the most part was a scrappy game on a bobbly pitch, however the win – their first at Hurst Cross since 2004 – ended a run of six consecutive defeats at Ashton.

The hosts made the better start to the game and should have taken the lead on five minutes when Joe O’Neill headed over following a good run and cross by Kayde Coppin.

Worksop did not heed the warning and a minute later Coppin was the supplier again as leading scorer Martin Pilkington got in front of his marker to slot home Coppin’s cross at the near post.

Slowly Tigers started to get into the game and when Chris Lynch fouled Jake Scott 25 yards from goal, Paul Phillips produced an excellent save from Adam Murray’s free-kick.

Tigers continued to press without creating any clear cut-cut chances.

Mettam had a penalty appeal turned down when he appeared to be brought down by Jason Gorton, the referee awarding a free-kick to the home side.

Then Phillips was quick off his line to reach Mettam’s through ball just ahead of Muldoon.

On 39 minutes the equaliser came, Tom Denton getting in front of Phillips to head home from Murray’s pinpoint cross from the right.

Jan Budtz was twice in action as the half ended to deny the Robins, tipping over a shot from Greg Pearson following a good run by the full-back; then scrambling across his line to palm away an effort from O’Neill.

The second half started scrappily, the best chance falling to Pilkington just past the hour mark, only for the striker to shoot wide when well placed following a good through ball from Coppin.

Worksop took the lead the lead with their first real chance of the half on 63 minutes.

Chris Salt’s miss-hit shot from the edge of the penalty area fell to Mettam who slotted the ball calmly past Phillips despite the calls for offside from the home side.

Seven minutes later Tigers made it 3-1.

Denton headed Murray’s free kick into the path of Muldoon who unleashed an unstoppable volley past Phillips.

However, 11 minutes from time the Robins hit back.

Substitute Matthew Chadwick ran at the Tigers defence, playing a one-two with Pilkington before firing low past Budtz to make it 3-2.

Ashton piled forward and thought they had scored an equaliser when a corner was met by Gorton at the back post who saw his effort cleared off the line, with the Ashton players and fans claiming the ball had crossed the line.

The home side had one last chance, O’Neill dragging his shot wide following good work down the right by Chadwick.

Ashton United: Phillips, Lynch (c), Pearson (Coo 53), Gorton, Higgins, Young, Gee, Rick (Chadwick), O’Neill (Halford), Pilkington, Coppin. Unused subs: Killeen, Steadmean.

Worksop Town: Budtz 6, Pursehouse 6, Williams 6, Murray 7, Quinn 7, Salt 6, Muldoon 6 (Barnett 90), Clarke 6, Denton 7, Mettam 7, SCOTT 7 (Lemon 89). Unused subs: Roe, Wall, Gaughan.

Goals: Pilkington 6, Chadwick 79; Denton 39, Mettam 63, Muldoon 70.

Referee: Mr N. Greenhaigh.

Assistant referees: Mr N. Kellett, Mr M. Saville.

Attendance: 160.

Man of the Match: Jake Scott.