Former Manchester United man sees red but 10-man leaders snatch a point as it gets a Tad ugly at Sandy Lane

A 96th minute goal denied Worksop Town a win over league leading Tadcaster, an ugly affair at Sandy Lane ending 2-2.

Tensions were high from as early as the fourth minute, when former Manchester United man Jonathan Greening was sent off for an elbow.

And although Tigers took a 2-0 lead, Albion refused to give up and levelled deep in time added on – time that stemmed from an incident involving Tadcaster players and the crowd.

Worksop began the game without the injured Conor Higginson, but welcomed back captain Jake Scott.

It was Scott who tangled with Greening in the fourth minute, grabbing hold of the Tadcaster man only to receive an elbow to the nose – the referee right on the spot to flourish his red card.

Greening’s brother Josh should have opened the scoring, but when Jon Stewart saved from Josh Barrett, the league’s top scorer chipped into the side netting.

Conor Sellars had a couple of early range finders with free-kicks, the second much closer than the first but wide.

The first goal came on 21 minutes and it was an absolute beauty, Matt Booth picking up the ball 20 yards out and curling it over keeper Peter Lawrie.

Five minutes later Worksop had Albion on the ropes, thanks to some relentless pressure.

Tom Elliott won the ball and got it back from Mitch Husbands via a Booth touch, before going round the keeper and sliding home.

Albion had a glorious chance to pull one back when Booth could only head a Tadcaster corner across his own goal, and Jonathan Wafula had to clear Paddy Miller’s shot off the line.

Tom Claisse was walking a tightrope when he brought down Sellars and then went nose to nose with the Tiger, the Albion man seeing yellow.

Evidently frustrated, Tadcaster surrounded the referee at the half-time whistle, although few of his decisions in the first 45 minutes were debateable.

Husbands and Sellars linked up well at the start of the second period, the striker cutting the ball back for Sellars who fizzed a shot wide.

Tadcaster got back into the game on the hour mark, Greening knocking the ball over the last defender, collecting and then lobbing Jon Stewart with a deft touch.

A minute later the game boiled over, Scott’s foul on Barrett sparking a shoving match – although Scott only saw yellow.

Then an incident behind the Tadcaster dugout led to an eight minute stoppage in play, and at one stage the men in white seemed prepared to leave the field - although not at the referee’s request.

When play resumed, Albion worked the ball into the Tigers area and Scott had to clear from his own six yard box under pressure.

The game became fraught, Tigers failing to clear their lines convincingly or keep possession, inviting Albion to attack.

In almost unbearable tension, and with 96 minutes on the clock, the ball was sent soaring into the box once more and Andy Milne stabbed it home.

Tadcaster celebrated a point salvaged, one they deserved for their dogged pursuit of a comeback, and Tigers rued a major chance missed.

Worksop: Stewart 7, Wafula 6, Smythe 6, Pursehouse 6, Liversidge 6, Burgin 6, Sellars 6, Scott 6, Husbands 6 (Jordan 90), Booth 6 (Whincop 85), ELLIOTT 7. Not used: Shillito, Waddle, Hawkins.

Tadcaster: Lawrie, Bisset, Miller, Ormsby (Dhesi 90), Milne, Ingram, Thompson, Jonathan Greening, Barrett (Brown 85), Claisse (Ward 78), Josh Greening. Not used: Dhesi.

Referee: Mr S. Richardson. Assistants: Mr S. Abbott, Mr K. Hughes.

Goalscorers: Booth 21, Elliott 26; Greening 60, Milne 90+6

Yellows: Scott 61, Pursehouse 81; Claisse 34, Ingram 90+6

Reds: Jonathan Greening 4.

Attendance: 540.