First half horror show leaves Tigers too much to do at Dunston UTS

editorial image

Worksop Town recovered from a first half horror show but still lost out in a seven-goal thriller at Dunston UTS.

The Northern League side had Tigers rattled, racing into a 4-0 lead before the break.

A much improved second half performance saw Worksop, missing several first team players, fight back, only to lose 4-3.

It took the home side only four minutes to take the lead when Andrew Bulford saw his header blocked from a quickly taken corner, Scott Heslop pouncing on the rebound to fire home.

Kyle Jordan and Tom Elliott both had shots saved by Andy Clark as igers looked for a reply.

However on eight minutes an error by Connor Smythe let in the home side, Matthew Briggs and Steven Richardson playing a one-two before Briggs calmly shot past Jon Kennedy to make it 2-0.

As the home side dominated Briggs saw his effort from distance flash just wide.

Things got worse for the visitors just before the half hour mark and again Tigers were the architects of their own downfall.

A weak back pass from Jono Wafula left Kennedy challenging for a 50:,50 ball with Malcolm Morien which Morien won rolling the ball into the empty net.

The nearest Worksop came to pulling a goal back came just before half-time when Clark tipped Adam Ward’s free-kick over the bar.

Then in added time Dunston were awarded a penalty following a challenge by Sam Liversidge, who appeared to have won the ball; up stepped Bulford to drill the ball home.

Dunston made three changes at half-time, Tigers remaining unchanged.

Worksop started the second half with much more purpose and pulled a goal back on 66 minutes when the ball fell to Jordan Ball who comfortably beat his marker and confidently stroked home.

Revived by the goal Tigers pressed forward pulling another goal back midway through the half; Jordan saw his shot from Smythe’s cross blocked, the ball falling to Ward who slotted it low into the back of the net.

As Tigers continued to press a superb pass by Ward released Steve Woolley down the left who flashed a shot just wide of the far post when a better option may have been a cut back to the unmarked strikers.

Then as the game entered the final 10 minutes the visitors made it 4-3 when Jordan fired home from Ball’s cut back.

Tigers sought an equaliser but it was the home side that came closest to scoring when Liam Thear saw his shot deflected over the bar by Jake Scott.

Dunston UTS: Andy Clark, Stephen Harrison, Dan Halliday (Craig Hodgson 46), Dale Burrell, Michael Pearson, Luke Gilhepsy, Matthew Briggs (Andrew Bulford 81), Scott Heslop (Micky Strachan 78), Steven Richardson (Dan Wilson 46), Andrew Bulford (Malcom Morien 71), Malcolm Morien (Liam Thear 46).

Worksop Town: Jon Kennedy, Jono Wafula (Mark Shaw 80), Connor Smythe, Sam Liversidge, Jake Scott, James Cottingham, Steve Woolley (Josh Hobson 84), Tom Elliott (Scott Wesley 89), Jordan Ball, Kyle Jordan, Adam Ward. Unused subs: Chris Adam, Conor Sellars, Ben Townsend.

Goals: Heslop 4, Briggs 8, Morien 28, Bulford 45+1 pen; Ball 66, Ward 75 Jordan 81

Referee: Adam Herczeg

Assistant referees: Alex Clark and Sam Ross