Eight unbeaten as Tigers get revenge on Linnets

Leon Mettam in action at King's Lynn Town on Tuesday night (Pic: Tim Smith)
Leon Mettam in action at King's Lynn Town on Tuesday night (Pic: Tim Smith)

Tigers stretched their unbeaten league run to eight games, with an impressive 3-1 victory at King’s Lynn Town on Tuesday.

The win was a measure of revenge for Worksop, against a side who beat them 4-1 at Sandy Lane earlier in the season, and who themselves harbour play-off ambitions.

It wasn’t a performance that showed their silky skill and quality, but it did show their heart, guts and determination.

And crucially they took their chances, Leon Mettam adding his 50th and 51st goals for the club, adding to Adam Quinn’s first as a Tiger.

There wasn’t a minute on the clock when Jordan Yong went racing down the left on an overlap for King’s Lynn, and shot across the face of goal.

With Worksop sluggish, the Linnets looked threatening down both flanks, and Yong again shot just wide.

It was the visitors who took the lead however, as Phil Roe’s throw in was knocked on by Jack Adams and Mettam hammered into the far top corner.

A minute later Mettam was gifted the ball by a defensive error, turned his marker and saw his shot blocked.

And from the resulting corner Laurence Gaughan hooked over from six yards.

Jack McGovern had a golden chance to level the scores when he got in behind Jake Scott, but despite beating keeper Jan Budtz, he was denied by a diving Quinn.

The second goal arrived on 21 minutes, Denton challenging goalkeeper Alex Street for Scott’s free-kick, the ball dropped to Quinn who calmly sidefooted a volley home.

Massiah McDonald, playing against his former club for the first time, saw a shot deflected just wide.

The frontman then used his pace to get away from Shane Clarke and his ball into the middle was volleyed over by Marc Goodfellow.

Jack Muldoon thought he’d added the third when he thundered a shot goalwards, but it hit Tom Denton.

Lovely interplay from Muldoon, Shane Clarke and Higginson ended with Muldoon’s left foot shot flying off target.

The game theatened to boil over after several full blooded challenges, and when George Thomson took retribution on Roe after the referee missed the Tiger’s foul, he was lucky to only see yellow.

King’s Lynn brought on Rob Duffy for the second half, and the big frontman was straight into the action, getting up above Scott to head at goal but not catching out Budtz.

There was a blow for the visitors three minutes after the interval, Quinn coming off with an arm injury, Denton moving back into defence as Jordan Lemon came on.

Muldoon’s pace and strength took him right through the middle, but he failed to pull the trigger.

A defensive howler handed Tigers a 3-0 lead on 55 minutes, Adams’ hooked ball miscontrolled allowing Mettam to run clean through and thump in his 28th of the season.

Budtz was in action again, saving with his feet to deny Thomson after a promising move.

Higginson was risking a red card when he blocked the run of Ryan Clarke, boss Mark Shaw reacting by sending on Aaron Cole in his place.

It was a pair of Kings Lynn substitutes who made an impact however, Sam Mulready crossing to Duffy who steered the ball home expertly first time.

Worksop defended stoutly to secure the three points, a fitting tribute to coach Andy Lake’s father – originally from King’s Lynn – who sadly passed on Saturday.

King’s Lynn Town: Street, R. Clarke, Yong, Lee (E. Clarke 84), Fryatt, Thomson, Hall, Quigley, McDonald, McGovern (Duffy 46). Goodfellow (Mulready 67). Not used: Ward, Stewart.

Worksop Town: Budtz 7, Scott 7, Roe 7, Adams 6, Quinn 7 (Lemon 48), GAUGHAN 8, Muldoon 7, Clarke 8, Denton 7, Mettam 7 (Davies 86), Higginson 6 (Cole 70). Not used: Williams, Elliott.

Referee: Mr C. Francis. Assistants: Mr P. Howard, Mr G. Marasca.

Goalscorers: Duffy 72; Mettam 7, 55, Quinn 21

Yellows: Hall 30, Clarke 31, Thomson 42, Duffy 90, McDonald 45; Higginson 22

Attendance: 389.