Dinnington in thrilling draw at York

Dinnington Rugby Club v Doncaster Phoenix (w121201-5a)
Dinnington Rugby Club v Doncaster Phoenix (w121201-5a)


York 16

Dinnington 16

DINNINGTON were denied victory by a last minute try but then saved from defeat by the width of the upright.

After a three week break, Dinnington visited fifth-placed York hoping to continue the good form that they ended 2012 with.

However, York had other ideas and started the game at a furious pace which forced Dinnington back towards their own line.

In the opening minute, Dinnington gave away a string of penalties but good defending prevented York claiming the try they were clearly looking for.

Instead, York had to accept three points from a penalty kick, but three minutes later they did get over the line after spinning the ball along their backs and scoring in the corner.

Dinnington got themselves into the game by driving at the home side with their forwards and they enjoyed a period of pressure in the home half resulting in three points from a penalty kick by Jonny West.

York came straight back but were kept out by some excellent defending and then play switched from end to end.

On their next visit to the York half, another penalty from West cut the deficit to two points but 10 minutes from half time York restored their five point advantage with a penalty of their own.

As both sides battled to gain the upper hand before half-time, discipline began to slip and both sides had a player sent to the bin; firstly, York and then Dinnington a couple of minutes later.

Dinnington made a much better start to the second half, but with only a few minutes played had another player binned, resulting in them having to play two players light for a short time.

However, it was hard to tell as they took the game to York and enjoyed the majority of possession.

Back to full strength, Dinnington began to get on top and just short of the mid-point of the half took the lead when West threw a dummy pass that fooled everyone giving him an easy walk in under the posts.

His conversion put Dinnington 13-11 ahead and another penalty five minutes later opened the gap to five points.

Dinnington then set about trying to defend their lead by keeping the ball close to the forwards but York still had chances and had the home number eight off-loaded more instead of running into tacklers, York could easily have run in several tries.

The visitors defended well, often close to their own line and the more they kept the home side out the more their confidence grew.

In the final minutes West attempted a drop-goal to stretch the lead to more than one score but his effort went just wide.

Two minutes from time, York knocked-on giving Dinnington a scrum inside their own 22.

Dinnington had not struggled at the scrum all game but York turned the ball over and quickly moved it along their backs, scoring in the corner.

Dinnington were deflated at having victory snatched away from them but they were more concerned as the conversion attempt headed towards the posts.

There was a big sigh of relief when it hit the upright and rebounded clear. That was the last action of the game.

Tomorrow, Dinnington are at home to Barnsley.