Dancing in the streets of Langold after title success

Match between Langold FC (Red Strip),  V  Harworth (Blue & Yellow), 'played at Harrison drive, Langold. Langold Goal
Match between Langold FC (Red Strip), V Harworth (Blue & Yellow), 'played at Harrison drive, Langold. Langold Goal

They were dancing in the streets of Langold last weekend, when both Langold FC and Langold Lakeside clinched Worksop Sunday League divisional titles.

Langold FC had two reasons to celebrate, as they also reached the Challenge Cup final with a convincing victory over local rivals FC United of Carlton.

Breakers Wasps were victorious against Shireoaks Sports which handed Langold the title, and also secured Breakers the runners-up spot and promotion to the first division.

Shireoaks Inn’s defeat by Inter Kilton ensured Lakside were crowned Division Three champions.

In Division One Worksop Borough are on course to retain their title after a 6-4 victory of St Joseph’s.

Maximum points in their last two games would see Boro crowned champions.

In a season which looked doomed following last year’s treble, credit must go to Boro manager Lee Howard who has refused to give up and his hard work and dedication could well pay off with silverware.

Failure to get maximum points could see JFC as league winners if they take maximum points from their remaining games.

Both teams have to play St Joseph’s and Stanley Street Galacticos respectively.

The big game in Division Two on Sunday saw Breakers Wasps travel to Shireoaks Sports knowing that a victory would promote them to Division One and end Shireoaks’ title challenge.

In windy conditions it was Breakers superior passing that excelled in the first half, strikers Sweetnam and Evans causing problems.

On 15 minutes Evans broke the offside trap and fired in from 18 yards and five minutes later he doubled the lead when Sweetnam squared the ball and Evans tapped in.

Sweetnam then hit the post and Canning also went close for the Wasps.

Shireoaks’ frustration was evident when Colton was dismissed for a two footed lunge.

After the break Joel Turner made it 3-0 with a top corner finish, but this inspired a comeback fromOaks who scored three goals in 10 minutes to level the scores at 3-3.

Injuries to Sweetnam and Canning forced Breakers to change formation and Jonathan Storey was sent upfront.

He immediately made an impact when he raced clear and hit the ball low and hard past the keeper.

Evans then completed his hat-trick when he scored adirect from a corner.

The victory handed Wasps second spot, and promotion.