Bore draw in Tigers first outing of 2012

WORKSOP Town began the year in uninspiring fashion, with a lacklustre 0-0 draw at North Ferriby United yesterday.

Tigers lined up without the suspended Luke Shiels and the injured Mark Hudson, as Michael Jacklin and Gary King came into the side.

The first half was a humdrum affair, with little in the way of action at either ends.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

Russell Fry put an early free-kick just wide of Jon Worsnop’s right-hand upright, and for Worksop Ashley Burbeary’s set-piece was headed straight at Steve Wilson by Jamie Jackson.

Tigers’ best chance of the opening period came when Owain Warlow slid a lovely ball through for King but the striker saw his effort saved.

Jackson’s pace took him through the middle midway through the half and although he went down under the challenge of both centre-halves, referee KDG Lawson was unmoved.

The game became niggly in nature with a number of silly fouls from both sides, Jackson in particular getting a hard time, having to somersault through one foul.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

Worsnop had to be sharp to clear up after Wayne Brooksby’s shot was cleared off the line and the same player then sent an effort well over the bar from distance.

Right at the end of the half North Ferriby came agonisingly close to taking the lead when Brooksby broke and sent in a dangerous low cross, Chris Wood making a goal saving tackle.

Chris Bolder got the wrong side of James Cotterill on 57 minutes and the centre-half put just enough pressure on him, Worsnop doing the rest with a comfortable save.

Cotterill’s game came to an end just six minutes later after he picked up a knock and Marc Roberts made his entrance.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

Just over 20 minutes remained when Steve Gardner was yellow carded for going through the back of Kevin Larvin, and Jackson picked up a booking for dissent at the same time.

Seconds later a quick break from the hosts had Worksop at sixes and sevens and Roberts had to clear behind his own goal to concede a corner.

Worksop were sluggish and poor passing put paid to most of their attacks, but a weak clearance from Wilson allowed Jackson to run at the defence before seeing his cross headed away from goal.

The visitors made a loud appeal for a penalty after Paul Foot’s last ditch challenge halted King who was clean through - but the yellow card came out for the forward as the referee saw in favour of Ferriby.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

Worksop were still trying to regain their shape after a foray upfield when Ferriby stormed forward through Chris Bolder and it was Wood again who made a vital intervention.

The final five minutes saw Simon Clark push Burbeary up in support of the two strikers, and as Tigers went looking for the winner Warlow shaped to shoot from the edge of the box and was denied by a desperate block.

An injury time free-kick and subsequent corner troubled the home defence, but there were no visiting attackers close enough to the ball to grab a winner.

North Ferriby: Wilson, Lloyd, Larvin, Riordan (Harsley 51), Foot, Anderson, Brooksby, Fry, Bolder, Bradshaw, Bennett (Williams 78). Not used: Denton, Taylor, Moy.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

Worksop Town: Worsnop 6, Gardner 5, WOOD 6, Jacklin 5, Cotterill 5 (Roberts 63), Burbeary 5, Sharry 5, Young 5, King 5, Jackson 6, Warlow 5. Not used: Wilson, McDonald, Zaccardi.

Referee: KDG Lawson.

Assistants: E. Heward, D. Cook.

Attendance: 326.

Yellows: Bradshaw 90+1; Jackson 67, Gardner 67, King 79, Roberts 90.