Bassetlaw Hospital on standby for 362 heart attack victims as Tigers win in late drama

editorial image

Bassetlaw Hospital was on standy for the arrival of a potential 362 heart attack victims on Wednesday night, as Tigers won in dramatic late fashion.

Worksop Town didn’t make it easy, but they ground out a vital 2-1 win over Albion Sports to go five points clear at the top of the NCEL Premier and 10 games unbeaten.

For the second time in a week, Mark Shaw’s men gained revenge over a side who had bettered them earlier in the season.

And Shaw himself got in on the act, revealing the extent of the club’s injury crisis by appearing as a stoppage time substitute.

By then his men were a goal ahead and looking to kill the game, following Chris Whincop’s all important headed goal.

The full-time whistle sparked double celebrations, with news coming in from elsewhere that title rivals Tadcaster had lost again.

Worksop began well, looking dangerous early on.

Conor Higginson had a sight of goal on his return to the side, taking Lee Elam’s wayward touch and haring clear before shooting wide.

Tigers seemed to hit their stride, Jon Stewart sending Higginson through again before a defender recovered, then Tom Elliott sliced a half volley off target.

Danny Facey had Albion’s first effort, shooting straight at Stewart from a difficult angle.

A scrappy period of play was punctuated by a fierce drive from Phil Roe thsat looked a goal all the way, until the ball thumped onto the post.

Tigers came close again when a corner from the right was met by Ross Henshaw and he glanced it past the far upright.

There were half hearted shouts for a spot-kick when James Cottingham’s cut back found Higginson, and a defender got in the way - fairly in the eyes of referee David Plowright, and Higginson had little complaint.

Conor Sellars, who had started poorly by his own standards, brought a fine save from Aaron Brian with a 35-yard free-kick, before Albion hit the hosts on the break.

A ball out of defence released Facey, who was bizarrely all alone on the halfway line and he simply raced clear to slide the ball past Stewart for the opening goal.

Worksop should have been level within five minutes, Stewart’s quick kick downfield putting Higginson through once more, the keeper making all too comfortable a save.

A foul on Chris Adam on the right then led to the equaliser.

Sellars whipped in a free-kick that Tom Burgin headed down, and it was Adam, head down, striking the ball as sweetly as could be to send it into the top corner.

The first half ended on a sour note for the home side though, Sellars seeing yellow for dissent, then Adam went down in the area only to receive a booking for simulation.

The second half almost began on a high note, Henshaw getting well above everyone else to meet a Sellars corner, his header clearing the bar.

Some nice football on the right touchline gave Higginson time to cut inside and shoot, a deflection taking the ball wide.

Tigers came even closer a minute later, Higginson forcing the ball out to the left where Roe steered it back across goal and inches past the post.

Chances then became few and far between for Worksop, despite all their possession, with frustration, impatience and worry growing both on and off the pitch.

But with nine minutes remaining Sellars whipped in the perfect cross from the right, and substitute Chris Whincop got across his marker to glance a header into the far corner of the net.

As is the way with this team, joy soon turned to nerves, Albion going straight onto the attack, only a well timed Sam Liversidge tackle halting the danger.

A reckless challenge on Tom Burgin left the defender poleaxed, and sparked a shoving match, the result yellow cards for Matthew Dempsey and Liversidge for his reaction.

And stoppage time featured a cameo from the manager, who celebrated as a player when the full-time whistle came, signalling another hard fought victory.

Worksop: Stewart 7, Cottingham 6, Roe 6, Henshaw 6, LIVERSIDGE 7, Burgin 6, Sellars 6, Scott 7, Higginson 6 (Whincop 65), Adam 7 (Shaw 90), Elliott 6 (Hawkins 86). Not used: Lannaman, Wafula.

Albion Sports: Brian, Bradley, Hussain, Maturine, Dempsey, Firth, A. Basi, Elam (Harper 31), Facey, Bailey (K. Basi 65), Cusack. Not used: Tiani.

Goalscorers: Adam 38, Whincop 81; Facey 23

Yellows: Sellars 44, Adam 45, Liversidge 89; Harper 37, Dempsey 89

Referee: David Plowright.

Assistants: Duncan Robertson, Martin Chester.

Attendance: 362.