Badgers held at Garforth as they try to bounce back from defeat

Retford made the journey north to Garforth looking to return to winning ways after defeat in their last outing, but were held to a 2-2 draw.

Tuesday, 12th November 2013, 3:45 pm
Garforth Town 2-2 Retford United 9th November 2013 Toolstation NCEL Premier Division Craig Aspinall in action for Retford United. Football images from Garforth Town v Retford United, Toolstation NCEL Premier Division, Wheatley Park Stadium, Cedar Ridge, Garforth, Leeds, England, UK, GBR. 9 November 2013. Image copyright Jon Knight Freelance Photography. No images may be reproduced without prior permission.

United made several changes with Richard Medcalf making his first start of the season, partnering Lee Holmes in attack, and Ben Muirhead, Craig Fisher and Gav Cooper all returning to the starting line up.

There was an early chance for Retford, as Medcalf headed into the side netting.

A free-kick for Garforth was sent into the box with former Garforth keeper Jody Barford punching clear, the ball was hit into the net by Tawanda Rupere but the referee had blown for a foul.

Connor Bower burst forward for the hosts, and he was cussing himself when he shot wide of the post.

The deadlock was broken on 23 minutes, a shot curled into the top corner by Stephen Simpson giving Garforth the lead.

In the second half it almost got worse for Badgers, as Gary Stohrer made a run forward into the box, his first effort was blocked by Barford, and the ball back in was cleared off the line by Walkden.

On 63 minutes Retford were level thanks to a superb effort by Ben Muirhed curling the ball into the top corner.

Three minutes later Simpson’s second of the afternoon restored Garforth’s lead, shooting home through a crowd.

With ten minutes remaining, Retford were back level for the second time, Muirhead this time the provider as his ball in was met by Medcalf who did well to flick the ball past the keeper at the near post.

The final ten minutes were tense for both sides, Garforth having the final chance, Curtly Martin-Wyatt putting the ball a fraction wide of the far post.