Badgers battle back for point

Retford United gave a debut to former Bradford City midfielder Ben Muirhead, in Saturday’s 1-1 draw at Heanor Town.

Wednesday, 18th September 2013, 1:26 pm
Heanor Town 1-1 Retford United 14 September 2013 Toolstation NCEL Premier Division Craig Fisher is congratulated on his late leveller by Brett Lucas. Football images from Heanor Town v Retford United, Toolstation NCEL Premier Division, The Town Ground, Mayfield Avenue, Heanor, England, UK, GBR. 14 September 2013. Image copyright Jon Knight Freelance Photography. No images may be reproduced without prior permission.

Badgers have added Muirhead to the squad from Armthorpe Welfare, and he was joined in the Retford side by the returning Craig Fisher and Brett Lucas.

The visitors made a beight start, Reece Thompson reaching the byline before his cross was cleared, and Bobby Johnson headed just over the crossbar from Lee Holmes’ cross.

Heanor’s dangerman Corey Grantham made a run on the wing and crossed, but Jody Barford got a vital block in.

Holmes could have opened the scoring when his run took him past the goalkeeper, before he found the side netting from a tight angle.

Brett Lucas had a goalbound header hooked clear, and Holmes had a long distance strike saved.

At the other end, Keiran Debrouwer’s bullet shot went across Barford’s goal.

The referee had to have words with Heanor’s Brett Peel and Retford’s Thompson when the former stood on the latter’s leg, and Thompson retaliated.

At the end of the first half, Craig Aspinall had a shot pushed away by Mark Frost in the Heanor net.

After the break, Muirhead had two good chances to open his account for Retford, first sending an effort off target and then failing to control Thompson’s through ball.

Heanor thought they had taken the lead when Stef Frost struck, and Barford had to make a superb stop diving to his lift.

A Johnson free-kick was tipped round the post for a corner, then a second effort from the Retford man was weak and rolled into the stopper’s arms.

With time ticking away, a 0-0 draw looked likely, although there was a scare for Retford as Grantham looked to go through, before Danny Smith denied him.

Five minutes from time Heanor broke the deadlock, Grantham drilling the ball low past Barford from a tight angle.

But a minute later, Craig Fisher fired in a shot that looked to be heading over, before dipping under the bar to send the away fans into raptures.

Retford were due to meet Long Eaton United as the Guardian went to print, before Saturday’s visit to Tadcaster Albion.