RETFORD United returned to winning ways on Saturday as they thrashed Lincoln Moorlands 5-0 at Cannon Park.

By The Newsroom
Wednesday, 21st September 2011, 5:08 pm

Brett Marshall gave a debut to two new signings, Lee Dawson replacing Corey Nightingale in defence and striker Carl Haslam partnering Dean Rick in the attack.

The other new name, Chris Hall, was left on the bench.

Retford were on the attack from the off, Man of the Match Haslam almost setting up Rick for the opener.

Badgers took a deserved lead on 27 minutes thanks to Adam Scott.

A good move started by Rick was helped on by Barry Payne at the edge of the box for Scott to fire home.

Retford were denied a penalty when Rick played the ball in for Liam Corrigan to run onto, the Retford player bundled over in the box, but the referee waved play on.

Tom Garrick almost levelled for Lincoln, hitting the inside of the post, but straight away, the reply from Retford came through Rob Austin, hitting a 25 yard effort past Jake Palmer to double the lead three minutes before the break.

After the interval the impressive Halsam once again showed his skills, doing well to somehow keep the ball in when it looked to be going out of play, his low shot from a tight angle was a fraction wide of the upright.

Garrick found his way through the Retford defence again, this time it was a superb challenge by Corrigan that stopped him getting in a shot in.

Lincoln had come a little more into the game as the second half wore on, Jake Thompson crossing for Garrick, but his effort was scooped off the line by Austin.

Another goal came for Retford in the 78th minute, Rick continuing his scoring streak after some great work by Scott to dispossess Luke Forbes.

Scott managed to get past the keeper before releasing the ball for Rick to hit into an empty net.

With 10 minutes left, there was still time for the league’s top scorer Haslam to get on the scoresheet.

On 83 minutes, he closed down the defence, winning the ball just inside the Lincoln half.

The keeper came out of his box to clear, but Haslam had him beaten taking the ball wide, then beating the keeper for a second time before finding the net.

The final few minutes tsaw a flurry of activity, firstly Nathan Adams, who only came on at half-time, was given his marching orders for a second yellow card, after hauling back Scott as the United winger tried to break from deep inside his own half.

Then, on 88 minutes, a double substitution for Retford saw the introduction of Jamie Brown and debutant Hall who made an instant impact with his first touch of the ball.

Chris Baugh did well to keep hold of possession on the Retford left, crossing for Hall to rise and head home for United’s fifth of the afternoon in the 90th minute.

The result puts unbeaten Retford third and sets up a clash on Saturday against top of the table Staveley MW.