Away day is a walk in the Parkgate for Tigers

Worksop Town v Pickering Town, pictured is Andre Johnson
Worksop Town v Pickering Town, pictured is Andre Johnson

Worksop Town eased to a 3-0 victory at Rotherham side Parkgate on Saturday, securing a second successive clean sheet.

It was Tigers’ first competitive game in 12 days, but they were straight into their stride as a Dre Johnson double guaranteed the points.

Worksop were dominant from the outset, retaining possession and creating a number of early chances.

Jonathan Wafula sprinted into space on the right and his cross was headed straight at keeper Daniel Morton.

Mitch Husbands drilled a shot wide, then a good break saw Connor Sellars beat two men and when the ball fell to Wafula his goalward shot was pushed out for a corner by Morton.

Johnson should have done better after nutmegging his marker at the byline, opting to shoot from an impossible angle instead of picking out a team-mate, Morton untroubled.

On 20 minutes the inevitable arrived, Tom Elliott turning away from his man impressively and playing a lovely through ball in for Husbands who found the net with the outside of his right foot from 18 yards.

Sellars came close with a free-kick from just outside the box, Morton tipping it round the post.

And in the final minutes of the first half Alex Pursehouse almost had a cross turned into the net by a Parkgate defender, before JakeScott curled a 25-yarder just off target.

The home side forged a decent chance of their own after the break, Scott Whittington getting the better of Sam Liversidge and putting the ball the wrong side of the near post.

At the other end Tigers were straight back on the attack, Sellars finding Husbands who brought a fine stop from a full stretch Morton.

Scott and Sellars then worked a clever corner routine that ended in a free header for Liversidge six yards out, the defender nodding over.

The crossbar came to Parkgate’s rescue after a sweeping Worksop move, going left to right and back to Scott in the middle who curled a beautiful shot against the woodwork.

Tigers were not to be denied a second however, Husbands playing in his strike partner Johnson and he was able to hold off Jon Wragg to slam the ball under the keeper and into the net.

It was very nearly 3-0 when Luke Shiels jumped up into the play, fed Elliott and he had acres of space but shot straight at Morton.

Although Shiels picked up the rebound and found Husbands, the goalkeeper came out on top again.

With seven minutes remaining Worksop did break their hosts down again, subsitute Chris Wincop challenging for the ball in the box, allowing Johnson to slot home.

The striker sniffed a second halt-trick of the season late on and almost went haring through the middle, losing out to a defender at the crucial moment.

Worksop shut the game down, albeit after repelling a late Parkgate spell of pressure, to sit fourth in the NCEL Premier with games in hand over the three sides above them.