Are hopes sinking?

Worksop Town FC v Burscough.  Picture:  Martin McIntosh  (w110306-2x)
Worksop Town FC v Burscough. Picture: Martin McIntosh (w110306-2x)
Share this article

ON a night that fans around the league dubbed ‘Titanic Tuesday’, Tigers’ promotion hopes hit an iceberg in the form of Colwyn Bay.

An error-strewn defensive performance against an in-form Welsh side was never going to yield three points.

With signage around the ground in both English and Welsh, the Worksop defenders appeared to be speaking to each other in different languages, and a classy Colwyn took advantage to win 2-1.

To return home empty handed after a 260-mile round trip was disappointing, but the manner in which Tigers went about their business will have upset travelling fans more.

Martin McIntosh gave a debut to midfield man Terry Barwick, signed 24 hours earlier from Goole Town, Ryan Mallon dropping to the bench.

Worksop attacked early through Matt Young, who scampered forward and fired low at keeper Chris Sanna, who took it easily.

With just five minutes gone Luke Beckett, clearly not short of confidence, tried his luck from a long way out, but it was another comfortable save for Sanna.

The hosts were handed an opportunity when Luke Shiels committed a foul on the left level with the six-yard box, but the ball in was cleared by Tigers.

Worksop then blocked a shot and Danny Grannon fired well over.

Mike Lea’s free-kick for Colwyn was nodded back to Jon Worsnop by Shiels, before Mikel Suarez had a blast from distance, well wide.

With 20 minutes gone, Chris Bettney skinned his man on the right, put a lovely ball into the box and Young got on the end of it, shooting low but Sanna saved.

Colwyn took the lead on 27 minutes when James McCarthy crossed brilliantly from the right, and Rob Hopley got up at the back post to nod home.

Shiels, who was at fault for the goal, went in recklessly on McLaclan 60 seconds later and was shown the yellow by the referee.

The home side went close again when McLachlan flashed the ball across the box, and Suarez wasn’t far off for the visitors with a low shot from just outside the area.

With eight minutes to go in the half Young clipped a nice ball through for Shiels, but the defender couldn’t control his effort as he burst through on goal.

Chris Wood was cautioned for a foul just outside the box on the right, and Lea’s quick free-kick almost crept in at the far post.

There were 41 minutes on the clock when the ball found Alex Titchener all alone in the area, Worsnop palmed his effort and Hopley followed up to nod home his, and Colwyn’s second.

Bettney’s cross from the left almost confused Sanna, and then Bacon’s shot was miles over.

A delivery from Luke Denson early in the second half very nearly gave Hopley his hat-trick, but Worsnop was alert to the danger.

A free-kick a minute later caused trouble for the Worksop back four, and again the stopper had to be sharp.

Just eight minutes after the break Suarez was withdrawn and Marc Thompson came on.

Karl Noon’s low cross was gathered by Worsnop, before Tigers broke out and Grannon saw yellow for blocking off Shiels.

Worksop Town’s defensive frailties were exposed again when Simpkins and James Cotterill conspired to gift the Seagulls a needless corner, from which Titchener hooked a shot over.

Noon then burst through after a calamitous few seonds from the Worksop back line, but Worsnop stopped his shot.

McLachlan put the ball into the sidenetting following an initial effort from Titchener, as the hosts looked to make the points safe.

Thompson brought Tigers to life on 72 minutes, scrambling away from two tackles to win a corner on the left, Worksop’s first, which Cotterill headed wide.

Two minutes later winger Ryan Mallon was put on, Simpkins making way after a torrid night at centre-half.

The replacement was straight into the action, pumping a free-kick into the box that eventually fell to Wood, but Sanna saved.

The impressive McCarthy slid a precise pass through for Hopley, but the striker skewed his effort wide of the mark.

Worksop hit back when Beckett stooped to nod home for Tigers on 82 minutes, his second goal in two games, after Bettney’s cross from a quick corner caught the home defence on the hop.

Colwyn’s Man of the Mach McCarthy was levelled by a poor challenge from Cotterill a minute later, and the defender was booked.

The Colwyn winger was taken off on 88, Lee Davey on in his place.

A rare slip from the hosts saw the ball fall to Thompson in an advanced position, but his through ball for Beckett was poor – although Colwyn did concede a corner.

Martin McIntosh brought himself on before the set-piece was taken, replacing Bacon, but Bettney’s cross was cleared and the home side got down field to see out the final seconds.