Another rustic Yorkshire setting, another four-goal second half salvo and another three points for Worksop Town

editorial image

For the second time in two games, Worksop Town scored four second half goals to leave a rustic Yorkshire ground with a 4-2 win and three points.

Thackley provided the Easter opposition, and a stubborn defence that frustrated their league leading visitors until finally crumbling late on.

A forgettable first half made way for the Conor Higginson show after the interval, the striker bagging a brace to signal the beginning of the end for the Dennyboys.

Nicholas McNally had the game’s first effort, when Tigers failed to clear a corner and he skipped out of a tackle to hit high towards goal, Jon Stewart saving with ease.

Tigers should have gone ahead on seven minutes, Jono Wafula getting down the right and playing in the perfect pass for Andy Ofosu who couldn’t beat Edward Hall.

Conor Sellars’ deliveries were causing real problems for the hosts, Jake Scott picking up a half clearance from a corner and hooking over.

Sam Cook was shown the only yellow of the game for his late lunge on Higginson.

Worksop were dominant without being overly creative, but careless play in the middle of the park allowed Kristian Hargreaves to go on a run, Ross Henshaw blocking.

The second half was almost instantly better than the first, Sellars whipping in a fine cross from the right, Tom Burgin heading into the top corner from the edge of the area - keeper Hall probably feeling he could have done better.

But a moment of madness and an element of confusion was the visitors’ downfall, as they gifted Thackley an equaliser.

Sellars had gone down, claiming for a free-kick that never came, Liversidge was apparently checking on him while play went on and when Burgin passed the ball in their direction, Nicholas McNally simply nipped in to shoot past Stewart.

Tigers pushed forwards in an attempt to reclaim the lead, Higginson unable to get a shot away with bodies flying in, Elliott’s effort deflected wide.

The large away support erupted on 73 minutes however when Phil Roe’s hooked ball over the top released Higginson, he held off one last desperate challenge, rounded the keeper and rolled home Worksop’s second goal.

Higginson set off in search of another, dropping the shoulder to leave one man for dead, knocking the ball around another and collecting on the other side before a last ditch block denied him a great goal.

A minute later he was celebrating again, Andy Ofosu’s header putting the former Mansfield striker clear, Higginson keeping a cool head and slotting past Hall for a 3-1 lead.

And the win was assured with six minutes left, Elliott going on a fine run that was halted by a Ryan Farrell foul - Sellars thumping home the resulting spot-kick.

Thackley kept it interesting, Joseph Keen given far too much time and space and finding the top corner from 30 yards, Stewart rooted to the spot.

The Worksop fans went home happy however, their team keeping the NCEL title dream alive.

Thackley: Hall, Cook (Eastwood 82), White, McGuire, Hopkins, Bentham, Farrell, Whiteley, McNally (J. Keen 74), Stevenson, Hargreaves. Not used: Trueman, Barker, M. Keen.

Worksop Town: Stewart 7, Wafula 6, Roe 7, Henshaw 6, Liversidge 6, Burgin 6, Sellars 6 (Johnson 85), Scott 6 (Cottingham 60), Ofosu 6 (Jordan 87), HIGGINSON 7, Elliott 7. Not used: Whincop, Husbands.

Referee: James Bell. Assistants: Gavin Hock, Lee Hible.

Goalscorers: Whiteley 56, J. Keen 86; Burgin 47, Higginson 73, 81, Sellars 84 (pen)

Yellows: Cook 25

Attendance: 262.