Another deflating loss for the Tigers at Skelmersdale United

Worksop Town v Buxton. Tigers player Warren Burrell
Worksop Town v Buxton. Tigers player Warren Burrell

It could be said that Tigers were hit by a late Skelmersdale suckerpunch on Tuesday, but they were asking for it.

Worksop went down 2-1 to a side who still harbour play-off hopes, despite going a goal ahead and having enough possession and chances to win.

But lacking their usual quality when it came to the final ball, Tigers were always at risk of giving this one up.

With veteran defender Adam Quinn struggling with a calf injury, Warren Burrell came into the back four.

Jack Muldoon had an early blast from 25 yards, forcing Zac Hibbert into a great save.

Jamie Jackson beat two players with ease before finding Leon Mettam, the striker unable to get a shot off.

It took only 11 minutes for Mettam to get the ball in the net however, shooting home from a direct free-kick after Tom Denton was fouled.

Skelmersdale would have been level four minutes later, but for an acrobatic save by Jon Stewart, palming Kenny Strickland’s header away.

Mettam thought he’d made it 2-0 with a half volley, only to hear a whistle for a handball.

The hosts had a golden chance to level when a cross found Peter Wylie, with time and space to shoot, Phil Roe clearing off the line for Tigers.

Skelmersdale skipper Tom Hardwick sliced a clearance just over his own bar, and seconds later Burrell volleyed home - but was offside.

Worksop took time to settle after the break, but once they did a lovely move ended in Shane Clarke’s wayward shot.

Seconds later, Aaron Turner played in Ashley Dunn to lob Stewart from 30 yards for a shock equaliser.

The men in blue were buoyed, Connor McCarthy turning away from Burrell and shot goalwards, Stewart saving.

Stewart kept the game level with a sublime save, palming Mark Jackson’s absolute rocket of a shot over the bar, and from the resulting corner McCarthy put a free header wide.

Skelmersdale wanted the win and with Tigers down to 10 after Higginson took a bang to the head, a slick move was finished off by Strickland, sealing three points.