A five star response as Worksop bounce back

Worksop Town bounced back from Saturday’s home humiliation, with a five star performance at the seaside on Wednesday.

By The Newsroom
Thursday, 5th September 2013, 10:05 am
Whitby's Dave McTiernan gets in a determined early challenge
picture: Brian Murfield
Whitby's Dave McTiernan gets in a determined early challenge picture: Brian Murfield

Captain Leon Mettam led the way with a hat-trick and a Man of the Match performance, as Connor Higginson’s second goal in two games, and Jack Muldoon’s sixth in six helped to seal a 5-2 victory.

Mark Shaw made four changes from the AFC Fylde game, bringing in Ben Hallam, Jordan Lemon, Josh Davies and Higginson in place of Liam Flynn, Alex Pursehouse, Jack Barnett and Ellis Wall.

Before the game started a minute’s silence was held following the passing away of the wife of the Whitby Town Secretary earlier in in the day.

Graeme Armstrong tucks the ball past Worksop keeper Ben Hallam for Whitby's opening goal picture: Brian Murfield

Both sides had an early chance with Higginson shooting straight at the home keeper, Shane Bland, whilst Hallam comfortably saved Whitby’s first effort from Craig Farrell.

Tigers nearly took the lead when Davies and Tom Denton combined to set up Mettam who saw his effort cleared off the line by Richard Pell.

From the resulting corner Laurence Gaughan’s overhead kick went just over the bar.

Denton then robbed Adam Rundle of the ball firing before against the post from the edge of the box.

At the other end Rundle’s effort went just wide of the post.

Tom Portas was next to go close for the Seasiders, shooting just wide from 25 yards out.

As the play went from end to end Tigers had a penalty claim when a flowing move ended with Higginson’s shot hitting a defender’s hand only for the referee to wave play on.

On 34 minutes Tigers were ahead.

Davies’ through ball found Mettam who was brought down by Bland, as he tried to go round the keeper, the referee immediately awarding a penalty.

Mettam made no mistake from the spot kick.

Four minutes later an excellent move ended with a superb cross field ball from Muldoon finding Mettam, who drew the last defender before squaring the ball to Higginson who went round the keeper before slotting into the net.

As Whitby looked to get back into the game Rundle’s through ball found Farrell whose shot was saved at the second attempt by Hallam.

Three minutes before half time the Seasiders made it 2-1.

Rundle’s through ball down the middle found Graeme Armstrong who held off Phil Roe before firing past Hallam.

Whitby equalised five minutes into the second half as Rundle’s corner was headed back across goal where Armstrong was on hand to fire home from inside the six-yard box.

However, Tigers hit back immediately; Shane Clarke’s shot was blocked, the rebound fell to Mettamand he hit the back of the net from 12 yards out to put the visitors 3-2 up.

Rundle’s quickly taken free-kick went just wide of the post, then Nathan Mulligan saw his shot deflected for a corner as Whitby looked for an equaliser.

On 66 minutes Tigers doubled their as Muldoon collected Mettam’s through ball before holding off the attention of his marker to calmly fire past Bland to make it 4-2.

Armstrong saw his shot partially saved by Hallam, Gaughan getting back to clear the ball off the line as Whitby looked to pull a goal back.

Then Mettam’s blocked shot fall to Clarke who fired just over.

Clarke went even closer moments later when Mettam’s through ball put the midfielder in on goal only for the keeper to block his shot.

On 75 minutes Tigers made it 5-2.

Muldoon and Denton combined to set up Mettam to complete his hat-trick, as his shot from the edge of the penalty area was too strong for the goalkeeper.

As Tigers continued to play some excellent flowing football, substitute Shaq McKenzie beat his marker for pace before cutting the ball back to another replacement, James Cottingham who shot just over.

Shane Henry saw his shot blocked by Gaughan, then Richard Pell headed just wide for Whitby.

Denton nearly made it 6-2 four minutes from time only for Bland to make a point blank save.

One sour point for Worksop Town was Kern Miller’s sending off a minute from time for foul and abusive language.

Whitby Town: Bland, Hassan, Robinson (c), Burgess, Pell, McTiernan, Mulligan (Henry 73), Portas (Snaith 77), Armstrong, Farrell, Rundle. Unused subs: Dixon, Bullock, Cook.

Worksop Town: Hallam 7, Lemon 8, Roe 7 (Pursehouse 83), Davies 8, Gaughan 8, Miller 8, Muldoon 7, Clarke 7, Denton 8, METTAM 9 (McKenzie 76), Higginson 7 (Cottingham 60). Unused subs: Salt, Flynn.

Goalscorers: Armstrong 42, 50; Mettam 34 pen, 52, 75, Higginson 38, Muldoon 66.

Yellows: Bland 34; McKenzie 87.

Reds: Miller 89.

Referee: Mr T. Rogers

Assistants: Mr R. Dunn & Mr C. Keightly.

Attendance: 274.