10-man Worksop Town frustrated at Sutton Coldfield

Worksop Town's Steven McDonnellWorksop Town's Steven McDonnell
Worksop Town's Steven McDonnell
It's been a month to forget so far for Worksop Town.

With the club in need of raising £30K by the end of February to finance its debts off the field, defeats have come against Sheffield FC and Sutton Coldfield Town on it.

The 2-0 loss at Sutton Coldfield on Tuesday night was the Tigers' third straight defeat in a run of recent games which has seen them fail to score and concede nine times.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

A goal in either half for the hosts did the damage with Ryan Moore scoring seven minutes before half-time and Isai Marselia getting the second seven minutes after the interval.

Goalkeeper David Reay pictured in action for WorksopGoalkeeper David Reay pictured in action for Worksop
Goalkeeper David Reay pictured in action for Worksop

Steven Wankiewicz was twice denied early on, his second an acrobatic effort blocked, as Steven Woolley pulled the strings in midfield on the 4G surface.

Tigers saw plenty of possession in the opening exchanges, moving the ball around well and creating but struggled to find an end product the build-up deserved.

While, at the other end, David Reay had to be alert to stop Marselia from giving the home side the lead against the run of play.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

Steven McDonnell had some Tigers spectators excited when he rifled a shot towards goal which crashed into the side-netting before the half-hour mark.

James Gregory dribbles with the ballJames Gregory dribbles with the ball
James Gregory dribbles with the ball

Then it was Craig Mitchell's turn to miss the target, his fierce volley flashing wide of the post, after James Gregory had battled for the ball and setting his team-mate up.

Marselia continued to be a threat to the away side's goal as Reay was caught in no man's land only for the Sutton striker to curl wide of the goal.

The hosts did however find the breakthrough on 38 minutes when Moore's thunderous free-kick dipped under the crossbar and into the top corner from range.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

The same Sutton player almost doubled his and his team's tally moments later when his curling free-kick into the area went just wide of the top corner.

Marselia then got the goal he had been threatening on 52 minutes when he pulled a shot across goal and into the bottom corner of the net.

Freddy Tracey replaced Jack Brownell as the visitors went 4-4-2 in search of a way back into the game.

Gregory hit a shot which sailed over the bar while McDonnell had a goal disallowed for a foul before Wankiewicz was later shown a straight red card for kicking the ball at the referee.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

Worksop: Reay, Rhodes, Pemberton, Woolley, Atherton, Wankiewicz, Patterson, Brownell, Mitchell, McDonnell, Gregory. Subs: Beaumont, Brunt, Karkach, Tracey, Walker.Sutton: Gwilliams, Ganley, Christophorou, Martin, Mutton, Beresford, Usher-Shipway, Evans, Marselia, Leek, Moore. Subs: Gibson, Hurst, Okoro, Harrison.

Attendance: 139.