Dre's at the double as Tigers trounce Staveley

Tigers produced a quality display to earn a 4-1 win at Staveley on Wednesday night.

Thursday, 7th April 2016, 9:31 am
Updated Thursday, 7th April 2016, 10:31 am
Staveley Miners Welfare v Worksop Town in the Toolstation Northern Counties East League. Heavy rain during the first half. Photo by Chris Etchells.

It was a steady start to the game, both sides delivering decent crosses into the box without someone able to get on the end of it.

After no real chances early on, Tigers were gifted the chance to take the lead on 21 minutes after a Staveley player handled in the box. Dre Johnson stepped up to bury the penalty and open the scoring.

However, the hosts found an immediate reply just a minute later. Danger man Adam Scott hit a shot from outside the box that flew past Jon Kennedy off the crossbar and into the net.

A half chance followed for Julian Lawrence before Tigers took the lead once again on 27 minutes. Andy Ofosu broke down the left hand side and crossed for Johnson to add his second of the game with a neat near post finish.

Staveley came back again looking to force another equaliser, Courtney Hastings wasting a couple of good chances. The first was a left footed shot dragged wide, before he blazed wide when it looked easier to score.

Those misses came back to haunt the home team as Tigers made it 3-1 just before the break.

A slight scramble from a corner led to Jamie Hadfield stabbing home with the defender on the line just unable to keep it out.

Just after the re-start Tigers had another chance, Fenton heading just wide from a corner as the second-half started as the first ended.

The game was still going at a decent pace without any clear cut chances. Both teams still looked capable of scoring more goals and both were looking to attack.

Hastings then had another chance which he wasted for the hosts. Scott did brilliantly to turn his man down the left and put a cross in only for the Staveley forward to head wide.

Despite it being a very competitive game, chances were few and far between. One of the main highlights was the return of Jack Hawkins in a Tigers shirt who received a fantastic reception from the travelling supporters.

Suddenly the second-half was lit up by a piece of magic. Ofosu cut back inside his defender with a back heel flick, before curling a fantastic shot into the far post.

Another incisive break from Worksop saw substitute Adam Ward in behind, but his low cross was just in front of the supporting players.

That was the to be the final play of the second-half. Overall it was a great performance from Tigers and they thoroughly deserved the 4-1 win and three points.

Worksop: Kennedy 7, GORMAN 8, Fenton 7, Cottingham 7, Hadfield 7, Lawrence 7, Higginson 8, Harrison 7 (Hawkins 85), Johnson 8 (Husbands 85), Ofosu 8 (Ward 88), Waddle 7.

Subs not used: Woolley, Nightingale.

Staveley: Butt, Baugh, Carty, Rawson, Varley, Oglesby, Scott, Morley, Hastings (Fletcher 69), Watson, George Johnson (Fitzpatrick 74)

Subs not used: Brown, Pugh, Mintoft.

Goals: Johnson 21, 27, Hadfield 43, Ofosu 95; Scott 22.

Referee: Mr A Hull

Att: 320