A glorious day at the seaside


By The Newsroom
Saturday, 8th October 2011, 9:00 am

DINNINGTON’S Under 10s enjoyed a glorious day at the seaside when they travelled to Cleethorpes for the long awaited first game of the season.

Conditions in the baking sun were the opposite of last season’s visit.

A squad of 18 were keen to play, some for the first time.

Cleethorpes did not have a full team, and in the true spirit of rugby the Dinnington side loaned out some players.

The sheer number of visiting players allowed Dinnington to field two teams and swap entirely at half-time.

In the first game Dinnington ran out 10-0 winners.

It was a one-sided affair, the Lodge Lane lads running in 10 unanswered tries.

In their first season of contested scrums and line-outs they were solid and it allowed them to win their own ball.

The game also featured some good clearing out and driving at some of the rucks.

Scorers for Dinnington were Patrick, Lewis, Harrison, Harry C, Alex R, and Harry B.

The second game was won 10-3 by Dinnington, but it was closer than the scoreline suggests.

It was only in the last five minutes that Dinnington scored half of their tries.

The later scores were a pleasure to watch as the boys combined quick ruck ball from the forwards and passing through hands in the backs.

Scorers were Thomas, Tom, Patrick, Harry B and Reece.

The Man of the Match award went to Harry B.


DINNINGTON Under 9s made the long trip to Cleethorpes on a wonderfully sunny day to play their first ever competitive matches in full contact rugby.

The home side were a couple of players short of a full team, and as the full Dinnington squad had made the trip, the visiting players took it in turns to pull on a Cleethorpes shirt.

The first match saw Dinnington win 15-5.

It was a close game, with end to end play.

A few handling errors in the excitement from both teams.

Dinnington put in some hard tackles, and there was good handling and use of players in space.

Opportunistic breaks in the second half resulted in the Dinnington side running in three tries, two from an impressive James Blackburn and one from Jack Needham.

James Blackburn and Jack Needham, Matthew Woodward and Jack Mills played for the opposition in the first and second half respectively.

Match two saw a 30-5 win for Dinnington.

Cleethorpes were 5-0 up at half-time, due to some strong play driving forward with the ball.

An almost certain try by James Blackburn, away up the pitch like lightning, was thwarted by a fantastic full arm stretch tackle made by Oliver Davies who ran impressively for the intercept.

In the second half, the home side seemed to be tiring a little, and some diligent work by a Dinnnington side determined not to go down without a fight, produced six tries.

All members of the team worked together to get the ball over the line.

Try scorers for Dinnington were Jack Needham (3), James Blackburn, Oliver Davies and Matthew Woodward.

Oliver Davies and Harry Williams, Curtis Craven and Joe Redpath played for the opposition in the first and second half respectively.