Worksop Town beaten by Lincoln City

Worksop town logo
Worksop town logo

Two of the smallest men on the pitch stood out as Worksop Town were beaten 2-0 at Sandy Lane by Lincoln City.

A mixture of first team players, youngsters and trialists made up both squads, with the Imps fielding two completely different outfield sides in each half.

For Tigers, Jack Hawkins was the standout performer in midfield with some great tackling and passing.

But the Man of the Match was Elliott Hodge, son of former Forest star Steve, who came on after the break and caused Worksop no end of trouble.

The visitors took the lead on four minutes after a bright start, a cross from the right causing trouble for Worksop before Jack Wetherall prodded it home.

Former Tiger Jack Muldoon came close to adding a second after taking a Terry Hawkridge pass and breaking into the box, a deflection sending his shot past the post.

Tigers midfielder Jack Hawkins had the hosts’ first effort, attempting to dink the ball over Richie Walton’s head after robbing a defender, the keeper collecting safely.

At the other end Ryan Graves made a fantastic save from Taylor Miles’ fierce drive after a spell of Lincoln pressure.

Referee Luke Walton showed mercy to Adam Somes after a poor, late challenge on Miles, the striker receiving a stern warning instead of a card.

Worksop grew into the game as the half wore on, Hawkins impressing in particular.

Alex Nightingale caught the eye too with a silky turn that left Alan Power for dead before breaking forward and winning the first of two corners, Tigers finishing the half in control.

City came out for the second half with a different set of outfield players, the likes of Craig Stanley and Elliott Hodge come on and putting Worksop under pressure almost immediately.

The visitors’ dominance paid off on 53 minutes when a cross into the box was spilled by stopper Graves and one of the Imps’ trialists stabbed home for a 2-0 lead.

Mark Shaw made a trio of changes, Connor Johnson, Matty Parkin and Scott Wesley coming on for Jack Waddle, Hawkins and Nightingale - but the new faces failed to stem the red tide, Keegan Everington firing over from an inviting cross.

Lincoln youngster Hodge was unlucky not to win a penalty after tricking his way past Johnson and going down under a trip, and even unluckier to see the resulting free-kick crash down off the crossbar.

Hodge continued to turn on the style, taking a crossfield ball down with a lovely touch and sending it into the middle where a trialist failed to steer it the right side of the post.

Worksop: Graves (Trialist 84), Hodder (Loftus 70), Waddle (Johnson 57), Adams (Pickersgill 86), Trialist (Trialist 70), Pugh (Trialist 86), Hawkins (Wesley 57), Husbands (Trialist 63), Somes (Fereday 61), Jordan, Nightingale (Parkin 57). Not used: Woolley, Loftus.

Lincoln City: Walton, Higgins, Nicholson, Woodyard, Wetherall, McCombe, Muldoon, Power, Miles, McMenemy, Hawkridge. Not used: Wright, Stanley, Fixter, Everington, Acar, Hodge, Beevers, Thompson, Anderson, Caton, Penfold.

Referee: Mr L. Watson. Assistant: Mr C. Grundy, Mr L. Marsh.

Goalscorers: Wetherall 4, Trialist 53