Worksop: Mother under arrest panicked and fled from police

A Worksop woman fled from police after being arrested because she didn’t want to miss her son’s school football presentation.

By The Newsroom
Monday, 18th August 2014, 3:48 pm
In Court
In Court

Stacey Spolander, 24, of Cheapside, pleaded guilty to obstructing or resisting a constable in the execution of their duty at Worksop Magistrates’ Court on Thursday 14th August.

Rod Chapman, prosecuting, told the court how two officers arrived at Spolander’s friend’s address to arrest her for an alleged offence that eventually wasn’t proceeded with.

Spolander asked the officers if she could return home before being arrested and taken to the station so that she could make care arrangements for her children.

The officers agreed but, after changing her shoes in the upstairs bedroom of her house, Spolander ran past the two officers who were keeping watch on the landing, and fled.

“She was at large for around 60 seconds and the officers caught up with her on Lincoln Street before arresting her and taking her to the station,” said Mr Chapman.

“When people don’t co-operate, it makes a police officer’s job all the more difficult.”

“Even though the offence was not proceeded with, Spolander has appeared in court several times in the past for offences like assault and being drunk and disorderly.”

Defence solicitor David Verity told the court that Spolander had remembered her eight-year-old son was giving a football presentation at school and ‘panicked’ when she realised she would miss it due to being arrested.

Said Mr Verity: “Spolander panicked because she was worried about what would happen to her children and wanted to be with them.”

“She stopped before the police caught up with her because she knew what she was doing was completely wrong and pointless.”

“Her last court appearance was over two years ago. She pleaded guilty straight away and shows a lot of remorse over what happened.”

“Spolander is very embarrassed and apologetic about this incident,” he added.

Magistrates gave Spolander a 12 month conditional discharge. She was also ordered to pay a £15 victim surcharge.

Magistrates said: “We were lenient with our sentencing because, prior to this incident, you have managed to keep out of trouble for two years. You need to keep that up and stay out of trouble.”