Worksop: Gambling addict stole over £5k from his elderly grandmother’s bank account

A 22-year-old gambling addict has appeared in court charged with stealing over £5k from his elderly grandmother’s bank account.

Monday, 29th September 2014, 3:25 pm
Worksop Magistrates court
Worksop Magistrates court

Luke Pitches, of Tadcaster Close, Doncaster, originally from Worksop, pleaded guilty to the thefts at Worksop Magistrates’ Court on Thursday 24th September.

The court heard how Pitches had gone to visit his grandmother, who lives in Worksop and was feeling unwell, in June of this year.

Pitches asked if he could borrow £40 and his grandmother gave him her bank card and pin number, which he used to withdraw the money before returning them to her.

Pitches then continued to visit his grandmother regularly over the coming weeks, stealing her card before finding the opportunity to leave and withdraw even more money.

When his grandmother became suspicious and later enquired about her balance at the bank, it was revealed there had been 23 separate withdrawals from cash points across Worksop totalling £5,050.

Ruth Snodin, prosecuting, said: “This is a heinous crime.”

“The defendant’s grandmother trusted him and was more than willing to lend him her money, but he clearly took advantage of her vulnerable position and continued to withdraw cash behind her back.”

“When arrested and questioned, Pitches admitted to the police that he had used the money to buy scratch cards and fuel his gambling addiction which has been ongoing for some years.”

Defence solicitor David Verity said: “The defendant entered an immediate guilty plea as he is absolutely disgusted by his behaviour.”

“His mother died two years ago and the offence happened around the same time as what would have been her birthday.”

“Pitches said that because of this ‘things just snowballed’ and he ended up hurting somebody he truly cared about in the process.”
“He is sorry for what he has done to his grandmother and is hoping to patch up their relationship.”

The case was adjourned until 16th October at Nottingham Crown Court, starting at 10am.