Worksop: Calls for action after huge building blaze

Urgent calls are being made to try stop a derelict building in Worksop catching fire.

Thursday, 9th July 2015, 11:34 am
Dramatic picture of derelict building fire in Worksop on Clarence Road

The former Shardlows Glass premises on Clarence Road has been hampered by a number of blazes in recent years.

Just last week 20 firefighters rushed to the scene as huge plumes of black smoke could be seen billowing from the building.

Dave Mansell, owner of Worksop Testing Centre, Clarence Road, said: “It is causing us a lot of stress.”

“It has cost us a fortune over the years.”

“I would say there have been at least four incidents, there was a fire just a few months ago.”

“The building should be demolished,” he added.

Two crews from Worksop and two from Retford were called at 10.55am on Thursday 2nd July. Paramedics were also in attendance.

The fire service said it was 10sqm of wood and tyres alight in a one-floor building of 40m by 60m. The cause of the fire is not yet known.

Marie Baird, manager at United Carpets and Beds on the street, said: “It is a worry because what happens if the fire engines can’t get here quick enough?”

“It is close enough to cause damage.”

“To be fair the building has been cleaned up and boarded up and is much better this year.”

“I feel sorry for the residents. I think they should probably set-up a petition.”

Crews used three jets and breaking-in gear to tackle the flames.

David Armiger, interim director of regeneration and neighbourhoods at Bassetlaw Council, said: “Prior to Christmas, the site was cleared and the building boarded up at a considerable cost to the council. “

“We have now entered into legal proceedings with the owner of the site to recover these costs and we are also working towards bringing the site forward for redevelopment as early as possible.”

“We continue to work with other agencies on an ongoing basis to try and ensure that the site does not pose any safety risks to members of the public, residents or businesses.”

There were no injuries.