Wells runs riot as Parramore dump Worksop out of county cup

Worksop Town were unceremoniously dumped out of the Sheffield Senior Cup by landlords Handsworth Parramore, on another disappointing night for Tigers fans.

Tuesday, 8th March 2016, 8:44 pm
Updated Tuesday, 8th March 2016, 9:46 pm

Kieran Wells did most of the damage with all four of the Parras’ goals, the 4-2 scoreline somewhat flattering Tigers, who were lucky not to see the striker claim a double hat-trick.

The game exploded to life early on with two goals inside a minute.

Tigers took the lead with their very first attack, Adam Ward’s defence splitting freeing Kyle Jordan who finished on the half volley.

But within seconds, Parramore were level, an equally impressive ball forward putting Wells in space, and his low finish was calmness personified.

Handsworth came close to a second with an inswinging corner that caused Worksop all sorts of problems, the ball eventually hooked over the bar.

All it took was one slip from Worksop, and Handsworth were ahead - Julian Lawrence failing to cut out a through ball, Wells running onto it and hammering the ball home off the inside of the far post.

The Parras striker had his head in his hands on the half hour mark, his half volley attempt just clearing Kennedy’s bar with a hat-trick beckoning.

Worksop were up to their old tricks of playing themselves into trouble, giving away possession in dangerous areas and inviting pressure - Lawrence having to dig out a pass on the touchline that gave Alex Rippon a shot at goal, clearing the bar.

Sam Denton was another to benefit from Worksop hesitation, having all the time in the world to set himself for a shot from distance, Kennedy making a fantastic full stretch save.

Worksop started the half reasonably well with two set-pieces into the area, Jordan seeing a shot cleared from the goalmouth.

But another dangerous corner was poorly defended, and Wells was allowed to prod home his third of the game, giving Parras some breathing space.

The red haired striker made it look all too easy with his fourth, taking a through ball and slamming it under Kennedy.

Tigers threatened briefly through Ofosu, who curled an effort onto the top of the bar from wide on the right, and then had a sniff of a rebound when Andrew Sneath spilled the ball, but the keeper made a great block to keep it 4-1.

Worksop’s goal was living a charmed life, Cottingham clearing off the line from Wells, who then contrived to miss from six yards out.

Mark Shaw’s side made it a little more interesting with 10 minutes to go, Conor Higginson sending Ofosu up the right and when he rolled the ball into the middle, Jordan grabbed his second.

But the last of the action belonged to Wells, who missed another three chances.

Handsworth: Sneath, S. Harrison, Eades (Grady 46), Warne, Griffiths, Denton, Rippon (Rupere 73), Marrison, Fletcher (Groombridge 70), Wells, Buttle. Not used: Adams, Ward, Grady.

Worksop: Kennedy 5, Gorman 4, Fenton 5, Harrison 5, Hadfield 5, Lawrence 4 (Johnson 70), Davies 4 (Higginson 55), Cottingham 4, Jordan 4, Husbands 4 (Ofosu 46), WARD 5. Not used: Clarke, Adam.

Referee: Mr Peter Henger. Assistants: Calum Gough, Daniel Jarvis

Goalscorers: Jordan 9, 81; Wells 10, 26, 54, 61

Yellows: Warne 29, Grady 48