After it was destroyed by a suspected arson attack last summer the war memorial in Richmond Park has now been restored and rededicated.
At a special ceremony, held on Saturday 6th June, the Second World War memorial was rededicated to the men and women of Gainsborough who served in the conflict between 1939 and 1945.
On Saturday 9th August last year there was a fire in an outbuilding at the back of Richmond House, in Morton Terrace, which destroyed the memorial and the plaque which read ‘This children’s corner is a tribute to the men and women of Gainsborough who served in his Majesty’s forces in the World War in 1939 to 1945 and was provided by funds raised during the National Savings ‘Salute the Soldier’ week 1944’.
The ceremony was attended by the Mayor of Gainsborough, Coun Matthew Boles, and members of the Royal British Legion and was part of the Armed Forces Day celebration at Richmond Park.
The day was filled with arts and crafts, inflatables, local food and drink and music and there were demonstrations and drills from the Army Cadet Force and Air Training Corps and a military vehicle display.
The celebrations continued into the evening with a Concert In The Park which featured the EYMS Brass Band.