VIDEO: Firefighters search for man in rubble of burned Mansfield house
Firefighters are continuing to search for a man through the rubble of a burned down house in Mansfield.
Crews from Mansfield, Worksop and Retford are searching through debris at a house on the corner of Austin Close and Sanders Avenue, after a blaze brought down the roof, walls and floors on Wednesday, April 13.
The fire service have so far been unable to confirm that all persons are accounted for in the house - including a man who is thought to have lived there.
But now the building has been made safe, the brigade are now “scaling up” the operation to conduct a thorough search of the property.
Group Manager for the operation Richard Melanaphy told: “We can’t confirm at this time that all persons are accounted for. Firefighting operations to search the house continue until we can be certain all persons are accounted for.
“This is an ongoing fire service incident.”
Firefighters have support units on site as they prepare for a major operation expected to take several days and Specialist Environmental Contractors have also been on site.
The station boss added: “Firefighters were faced with a very intense, a hot and dangerous fire when they arrived and they quickly got jets to work and put out the fire.”
Seven ambulance vehicles were also in attendance at the fire as specialist Hazardous Area Response Teams were required to provide support in the dangerous environment.
East Midlands Ambulance Service said the crews have since been stood down.
Emily Dunn of EMAS said: “We sent our full Hazardous Area Response Team (HART) to the fire as they have specialised skills and equipment to support large scale incidents.
“The team remained on scene to support the fire service until around 6am.
“No patients were taken to hospital.”