Teenage girl hit man with pair of shoes outside takeaway after he “come on to her” in bar, court hears


A teenage girl hit a man with a pair of shoes outside a Chesterfield takeaway in the early hours of the morning after he had apparently “come on to her” in a bar.

Sadie Webster, 18, of Ridgeway, Clowne, pleaded guilty to a charge of using threatening, abusive or assaulting words or behaviour with intent to cause fear or provoke unlawful violence at Chesterfield Magistrates’ Court on Thursday, April 14.

CCTV footage was played in court which showed Webster outside a takeaway in Stephensons Place in Chesterfield town centre at about 1.40am on December 27 2015.

Webster, who was with her friend Natalie Jackson at the time, was pictured wearing a black sleeveless dress.

The footage showed Webster hit the man with her shoes a number of times whilst there was a large group of people outside the food outlet.

Describing the events after the incident, Becky Allsop, prosecuting, said: “It involved night time drink-fuelled violence.

“In her interview she admitted she had had a confrontation with a female in the food place and dragged her hair and she admitted hitting a male who tried to come on to her in a bar.

“She had drank a lot all day and all night.”

In mitigation, Steve Brint, said that Webster has suffered with a number of issues in the past, included being helped by Child and Adolescent Mental Health Services (CAMHS) from the age of 12. She also had depression after being bullied at school. Mr Brint added that Webster assisted the police by naming Natalie Jackson.

“She was initially walking away and only got involved after her friend got involved,” Mr Brint said.

“She is now living with her mother and things are moving forward.”

The court also heard that Webster was 51 weeks into a conditional discharge, which she was in breach of, but magistrates decided not to take action but said they could have done.

Leading magistrate, John Spon-Smith, said: “What you did was quite a sustained incident and you had a number of opportunities to distance yourself from it.”

Webster was sentenced to a 12 month community order with a one month curfew between 9pm to 6am. She was also ordered to pay £85 costs and a £60 victim surcharge.