Mansfield-born star Richard Bacon is being discharged from hospital today and “is in good spirits”, says mother Christine.
The broadcasting figure was placed into a medically induced coma two weeks ago after contracting an “as-yet unidentified double chest infection”, and will now leave hospital after being take off sedation last week.
Christine Bacon, Richard’s mother, said: “He is doing really well now, which is amazing given all he has been through.
“He has still got a lot of recovering to do at home before he is back to normal, but he doesn’t have an infection in his system which is the positive.
“He was in surprisingly good spirits considering he had come around after all that time, but he says all he can remember is people telling him where he is and what was happening when he woke up.
“I was there with him when he had his first meal, which was the day before yesterday (Tuesday, July 17), and now he is doing really well.
“The doctors have told him he can’t fly for a month, so he is going to be staying with Rebecca’s [his wife] mother in London and recover.
“He has been very grateful to the NHS since he woke up which I think has come across in his tweets.”
Richard announced on Twitter and Instagram that he would be leaving hospital earlier today (July 19), alongside a picture of the bed he stayed in at Lewisham Hospital.
He said: “Cleared for take off. Gone within the hour. I don’t know whether I see this as the bed I nearly died in or the bed that saved my life. Either way. I won’t miss it.
“But I will miss the 50 staff of Lewisham Hospital who definitely saved my life. Every. Single. One. Of. Them.”