Retford: Shoplifter assaulted PC after stealing bottle of wine

A Retford shoplifter assaulted a PC after being arrested for stealing a bottle of wine. a court heard.

By The Newsroom
Monday, 26th January 2015, 2:00 pm
In Court
In Court

Anthony Ellis, 33, of Trent Bridge Road, pleaded guilty to both offences at Mansfield Magistrates’ Court on Friday 23rd January.

The court heard that on 18th December 2014, Ellis entered a One Stop Shop and concealed the £6.99 bottle in his coat pocket.

He was later located and arrested by police and became aggitated and violent.

As police were taking Ellis to custody, he asked to go to the toilet but his request was refused. He then asked to go to the toilet again but officers would not let him as there was nowhere to stop.

Prosecuting, Ruth Snowdin, said that Ellis then punched the glass in the car whilst a female officer was sat right next to him.

“He became violent and smacked the officer to her face and pinned her against the door,” Mrs Snowdin said.

Ellis was then said to have put his arms across her face before the car was stopped.

“The car was stopped and she managed to get her arms free and she smacked the defendant in the face. He moved slightly but remained on top of her,” Mrs Snowdin said.

Another officer was also then forced to strike Ellis to release her.

The court heard that Ellis also made threats after the incident and failed a drugs test at the police station.

The officer said she suffered ‘redness and soreness’ to her right eye and to the right side of her face.

Ellis said that he was ‘too drunk’ to remember anything but said he was ‘very sorry’ for what happened.

In mitigation it was added that Ellis has a long standing mental health condition.

“He has no previous convictions,” Andrew Osbourne said.

“He can’t remember anything.”

“He also tells me that he had a alcohol problem at the time.“

“The alcohol problem is being addressed but there is an underlying mental health issue.”

The magistrates said: “This was a nasty incident in where one police officer was trapped in a vehicle. The officer was lucky to get away with the injuries that she has.” “It could have been much worse.”

The case was adjourned until 13th February at Mansfield Magistrates’ Court for a probabtion report to be prepared.