OAP died after being hit by car

Green Arbour Lane, Thurcroft scene of recent road accident
Green Arbour Lane, Thurcroft scene of recent road accident
Share this article

A THURCROFT pensioner died in hospital days after being hit by a car, an inquest has heard.

George Henry Joynson, 85, of Cross Street, suffered multiple fractures in the accident on Green Arbour Road in the village on 29th December 2011.

He was taken to Rotherham Hospital for treatment where he later developed a chest infection. He died on 10th January.

The inquest in Rotherham on Wednesday heard Mr Joynson had worked underground as a coal miner for around 25 years. His son Philip told the inquest his dad was in good health for his age.

“He didn’t have any problems with his breathing and got out and about every day,” he said.

“On the day in question he had been to one end of the village to collect his pension, and the other end to get a paper and breakfast.”

The court heard Philip Joynson was in work on 29th December when he got a phone call saying his dad had been in an accident.

“I left work and by the time I got to the village the police were just leaving and dad had left in am ambulance,” he said.

“He didn’t say a lot about the accident because he was in a lot of pain and I don’t think he knew much about what had happened.”

Julia Housley told the inquest she was driving along Green Arbour Road when she saw Mr Joynson walk from the shops.

“The next thing I knew he was by the side of the car. I thought he was going to stop and look,” she said.

“He just walked out and there was nothing I could do. I didn’t have any time to brake as he just walked straight out in front of me.”

PC David Carey was called in to investigate the crash after My Joynson’s death.

“Mr Joynson walked into the road from behind a parked car and into the path of the car. There was nothing untoward in the manner of driving,” he said.

Coroner for Rotherham Nicola Mundy recorded a narrative verdict. She said: “George Henry Joynson did on 10th January 2012 from a chest infection developed due to a combination of immobility from the injuries sustained from a road traffic collision on 29th December and industrial related COPD.”