Notts: Lucky escape for 75-year-old woman after candle fire in home

Fire
Fire

Notts Fire and Rescue Service are warning people of the dangers of candles after a fire started in a woman’s home last week.

The fire broke out in the bathroom during the evening after a burning candle set fire to the shower unit.

The 75-year-old woman was alerted by her smoke alarm and she made a quick exit, first closing the door to stop the fire from spreading.

The woman had a lucky escape, but with candle fires resulting in 350 casualties a year, fire chiefs are urging people to be more careful.

Fire bosses have advised people to never leave candles unattended and to keep them away from flammable material.