It will be sited next to the memorial window in All Saints’ Church, Misterton.
It was during research for the 2014 history exhibition, Lest We Forget: Misterton & West Stockwith in The Great War, that the loss of a temporary scroll, once installed in the Church, came to light.
An appeal for funds for the memorial window itself was launched in 1917 and the window installed in November 1921.
In a contemporary record of the event, Parish News noted: “An illuminated scroll, bearing the names of those who gave their lives, has been placed on the wall adjoining the window.”
“The inscribing of the names is the voluntary work of Mr George Woodhouse, for which we are most grateful.”
“It is of a temporary nature, and, when the projected church restoration takes place, probably an oak tablet will be substituted as being more lasting.”
Then, the window, depicting St Oswald (the ‘saintly king’ of Northumbria), St Stephen (the first Christian martyr), and St Alban (the first British Christian martyr), cost £155 including labour.
Now, the appeal is seeking to raise 10-times that amount and will bear the names of the 22 men and one women listed on the village War Memorial.
“That Celtic cross in Cornish granite cost £300 when erected in 1922,” said Hazel Brand, chariman of Misterton & West Stockwith History Group.
“While some long-standing residents recall there being such a temporary plaque, no trace of it can be found.”
“So members of the Misterton & West Stockwith History Group decided to launch an appeal for a new, permanent one – an oak tablet, as was the intention almost 100 years ago.”
“The new, tablet will be erected, funds permitting, in 2018 to mark the centenary of the end of WWI.”
The names of donors to the plaque appeal will be remembered on a page in the Misterton Millennium Memorial Book, which is on constant display in the Parish Church.
The fund was launched with the sale of DVDs of the 2014 exhibition, Lest We Forget: Misterton & West Stockwith in The Great War.
The DVDs are still on sale at The Misterton Centre (minimum £5 donation each).
Anyone wishing to make donations to the plaque appeal should contact the Vicar, Churchwardens, or the Parish Church’s treasurer – or leave donations in named, sealed envelopes at The Misterton Centre.
For further information, contact Hazel Brand on 01427 891376.