Maltby: Unsafe house closed down

A landlord has been barred from letting out a rental property in Maltby after Rotherham Council officers found its gas boiler was unsafe.

By The Newsroom
Tuesday, 29th October 2013, 2:16 pm
Guardian News
Guardian News

The authority’s community protection unit served an emergency prohibition order on the landlord following a complaint from a resident about an unsafe gas boiler at a rented property on Byron Road.

The order will only be lifted once officers are satisfied there is no longer a risk.

Council officers were made aware of the problem following a complaint from the tenant, who had been advised by Transco to leave the property that day due to concerns around the gas boiler and its electrics.

The council discovered that gas engineers from other companies had all condemned the boiler and refused to carry out repair work.

As a result, the tenant had been left without any hot water or heating.

The prohibition order was served and the tenant rehomed by the council.

Coun Rose McNeely, cabinet member for safe and attractive neighbourhoods for Rotherham Council, said she hoped the prohibition order would be a warning to all landlords.

“People who rent out properties have a real responsibility to their tenants,” she added.

“They have to ensure their houses are safe - particularly when it comes to gas and electric fittings. If landlords do not take their responsibilities seriously, the authority will take action.”