Little Lambs leap back after arson

LITTLE Lambs Nursery bounced back into action last week as the school re-opened after a savage arson attack.

Monday, 5th March 2012, 12:30 pm

The Corringham Road nursery school had been closed since December 2011 when fire caused £150,000 damage.

“It was horrendous,” said Little Lambs owner John Ramm, as he recalled the devastating scene.

“They started three fires in different parts of the building. It completely gutted the kitchen, the rest was badly smoke damaged.”

But to look at the nursery today, you would never know.

Children, parents, staff and special guests were treated to a guided tour of the newly restored nursery, complete with new kitchen and play equipment.

The team created a picture board with photos of the damage, to show the transformation.

With new windows, floors, ceilings, wiring and plastering the nursery feels like new.

John said: “I don’t know who is more excited - the children, the parents or the staff.”

The official re-opening ceremony was conducted by Gainsborough MP Edward Leigh.

He said: “It was a delight to re-open the nursery, which provides such splendid support to little children in our area.”

“It is particularly encouraging to see an institution reborn after suffering a horrible attack by vandals. I hope its resurrection will inspire us all.”

Around 120 people visited the Little Lambs open day.

“We even added some new children to our books,” said John.

Sadly though, some children have moved elsewhere while Little Lambs was closed.

“We lost a few but we’re steadily building it back up,” said John.

Everyone at the nursery has been overwhelmed by the kindness and support shown by the community since the attack.

“My thank you list includes more than 70 individuals, and 11 different companies and schools who have helped us get back on our feet,” said John.

“The builders were especially brilliant, dropping their other jobs and turning our project around in just five weeks, having only had the go ahead from the insurers in mid-January.”

He added: “This has been a real team effort and it’s a huge relief to be open again.