Lincs: Convicted rapist who committed another attack while on day release is given four further life sentences

A convicted rapist who carried out another attack after being given day release while serving a life sentence at North Sea Camp was has been given four further life sentences.

By The Newsroom
Wednesday, 1st July 2015, 3:00 pm
Standard In Court Logo
Standard In Court Logo

Alan Wilmot, 49, who had spent 25 years in jail for his original offences was given day release from the open prison in September 2013 and while out he committed an horrific violent rape on a woman in her own home.

Wilmot was brought to Lincoln Crown Court from Wakefield Jail, but refused to go into the dock to hear his sentence and was dealt with in his absence.

Judge John Pini QC ordered him to serve a minimum of 15 years before he can be considered for release. But the Judge said “You remain an exceptional danger to women and will remain so probably for the rest of your days. It must be clearly understood , and not misunderstood, that you will not be released after 15 years. That is the minimum term that must elapse before you can even be considered for parole.”

“This court cannot envisage any circumstances where your transfer to open conditions or your release would ever be free from risk of serious harm to women.”

Gordon Aspden, prosecuting, said that it was while on temporary day release that Wilmot met his victim and her friend and all three went back to her flat in the Boston area. Wilmot went on to tie up the two women and violently raped one of them while the other was made to watch. Afterwards he went on the run and was detained two days later in the Hendon area of London.

Wilmot had befriended the rape victim over a number of weeks claiming at first to be a “hunky fireman” who was interested in purchasing a dog from her. He used a mobile phone he obtained in prison to send her text messages eventually claiming to have “fallen for her”.

The court was told that just two weeks before Wilmot carried out the latest rape the acting governor of North Sea Camp instructed that he should be returned to a closed prison.

But the instruction was only given verbally, not put in writing and was not acted on by prison staff.

Wilmot, from North London, was convicted on an 11-1 majority of one charge of rape, one charge of attempt rape and assault by penetration. The jury also found him guilty by a 11-1 majority of two charges of false imprisonment, four charges of making threats to kill and a further charge of committing an offence with intent to commit a sexual offence. He denied the charges.

During his trial the jury was told of his past which included attacks on six women in the London area during 1985 and 1986 including four rapes. He was given four life sentences at the Old Bailey in 1987.

Wilmot did not give evidence during his trial but through his barrister claimed he had previously had consensual sex with the rape victim. He also claimed that the victim was involved in drug supply to prison inmates.

His barrister Jon Harrison, in mitigation, said “The reality is that Mr Wilmot contested these matters vigorously. He understands that the jury rejected his case.

“Mr Wilmot understands that the outcome of these proceedings will be a term of life imprisonment. The reality is that Mr Wilmot is already serving four of those.”