Dozens of people were evacuated from their homes and forced to take shelter in a village hall after fears of a ‘large explosion’ involving gas cylinders.
Four streets in Langold were closed off after fire chiefs put a 200-metre cordon in place due to a blaze which ‘completely destroyed’ a garage.
Firefighters were concerned for the safety of residents due to the cylinders containing acetylene oxygen and propane.
Notts Fire and Rescue Service station manager, Alan Clarke, said: “There was a possibility it could have caused a large explosion. It potentially could have been a major incident. Quite a large number of residents were evacuated and taken to the village hall for refreshments.”
Three crews from Worksop, Retford, Harworth and one from South Yorkshire were rushed to the scene on Riddell Avenue at 5.50pm on Tuesday 21st April and were there for around five hours along with police and paramedics.
Families living on the road and also on Cross Street, Mellish Road and Ramsden Avenue were all evacuated.
Fire chiefs told the Guardian that the house belongs to a man who recently passed away and no one was inside the property.
Damage was also caused to two homes either side of the garage.
“It was not a massive fire but the garage was completely destroyed,” Mr Clarke added.
“These type of fires are quite common.”
“It was quite a nice, sunny night so obviously people were coming out to have a look.”
“We had to be careful because of falling debris potentially putting people at risk.”
“We had to put the emergency planning in place to make everybody safe.”
“We lifted the cordon at 10.40pm and people were returned to their homes at 11pm after I had spoke to them to explain what we had done.”
Chair of the Langold Village Hall Committee, Gill Wallhead, told the Guardian: “I was helping to run the bingo in Carlton when I got the call.”
“They wanted me to come and open it up because they needed an evacuation point.”
“Some people came here and others went to stay with relatives.”
“It was quite a bit of a shock.”
“It is a good community and everybody bonds together.”
“Luckily nobody was injured which is what matters.”
“Nothing like this has ever happened before.”
“People were able to have a cup of tea and some refreshments whilst they waited.”