How safe is your house Notts Police ask

Nottinghamshire Police has advice to keep your property safe.Nottinghamshire Police has advice to keep your property safe.
Nottinghamshire Police has advice to keep your property safe.
Residents are reminded to look after their house this summer.

Nottinghamshire Police want people to look after their property and get intruder alarms to make their house more secure.

A force spokesman said: “Whether you are going on holiday, out for a day trip or to work - please make sure you check your home alarm is in full working order.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

“If you don’t have an intruder alarm installed, we would suggest that you consider having one installed.

Intruder alarms may prevent intruders from breaking into your home as a visible deterrent.

“Alternatively, if an intruder does attempt to break into your home the alarm activating may scare them off.

“If you are considering buying a new intruder alarm, it’s a good idea to obtain at least three quotes from industry approved installers (NSI or SSAIB) or talk to your insurer who may have some recommendations.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

“You can also use trade bodies’ lists to check for vetted suppliers in your area.

If you do make an alarm installed, please make sure it’s kept fully serviced and in good working order and of course remember to programme it when you do leave your home.”
According to the police most domestic burglaries are committed by opportunist thieves looking for the easiest way of getting into your home without being seen or disturbed.

Advice on keeping your home safe

When you go out, always close and lock external doors and windows, even if you are just going out for a short time.

Ensure your keys are kept in a safe place out of sight and well away from your letterbox.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

Never leave garages or sheds unlocked, especially if they connect to your property.

Suspend any deliveries, such as milk and newspapers when going on holiday.

If you see anyone acting suspiciously in your neighbourhood, call the police on 101 or, in an emergency, 999.

Related topics: