Glen Kitchens’ death trial: CCTV shows fatal punch

A jury at Nottingham Crown Court has seen CCTV footage of the moment a single punch floored and killed 40-year-old Worksop man Glen Kitchens.

By Hayley Gallimore
Tuesday, 22nd October 2013, 6:20 pm
Glen Kitchens.
Glen Kitchens.

This afternoon (Tuesday 22nd October 2013) prosecutor Philip Gibbs opened the case against a 16-year-old Worksop boy accused of manslaughter.

The youth, who can not be named for legal reasons, denies unlawfully killing Mr Kitchens on the evening of 6th April this year.

Jurors heard how Mr Kitchens was assaulted and killed just before 7.30pm outside the Burton shop on Bridge Street. He died of a bleed on the brain caused by a head injury.

Mr Gibbs described how Mr Kitchens had been ‘enjoying a sociable drink’ in various Worksop pubs that day.

He set off home at about 7.10pm leaving friends Andrew Smith and Karl Wilson in the Liquorice Gardens on Newcastle Street.

CCTV cameras captured Mr Kitchens walking along Bridge Street and onto Ryton Street to buy some takeaway food.

The court heard that he encountered a group of between eight and 10 youths in that area, who had previously been ‘bothering’ passers-by.

Analysis of the CCTV footage suggests Mr Kitchens had a run-in with them on Ryton Street before walking away and eating his takeaway food.

But minutes later he was surrounded by the youngsters.

Mr Gibbs described how Andrew Smith received a brief phone call from Mr Kitchens at about 7.18pm.

“He told Andrew Smith he was having a ‘bit of bother outside Burtons’, seemingly with some youths,” Mr Gibbs told the jury.

“It was unusual for Glen Kitchens to be involved in any trouble at all. Ordinarily he was known as the type of person who avoided confrontation and trouble.”

“Mr Smith and Mr Wilson decided to leave their drinks and walk up to see what was going on.”

“They could see Glen Kitchens about 50 metres ahead of them. He appeared to be surrounded by a group of about eight to 10 young people.”

“Mr Wilson said he thought they were shouting abuse at Mr Kitchens.”

“Suddenly an older, larger youth ran towards Glen Kitchens and the group of youths. He came from behind Glen from the direction of Shoezone.”

Mr Gibbs said it was the Crown’s case that this person was the defendant.

“One boy shouted to the defendant, who was at Britannia Fried Chicken in Ryton Street - effectively summoning him to the scene of the confrontation,” he said.

“Probably because he was bigger and stronger, or he knew how to handle himself. And he sprinted down Ryton Street.”

“Catching him utterly unawares, he delivered a very significant punch to Glen Kitchens’ face, the force of which knocked him back.”

“He immediately fell backwards and struck his head on the back of a stone pillar. He fell, he landed on the ground, he was in an unconscious state from which he never recovered, and he died.”

“It was completely unnecessary and it was just the one punch. Glen Kitchens probably never saw that coming, according to witnesses at the scene.”

“The issue in this case is whether it was the defendant that delivered that fatal blow - he denies it was him.”

Mr Gibbs went on to describe how some of the youths, including the defendant, ran off down Central Avenue.

CCTV footage shows the defendant pulling his hood up to hide his face from the cameras, it is thought.

“Mr Kitchens’ friends immediately realised how serious this was and almost instantly thought their friend was dead - they were not wrong,” he said.

“He was lying flat on his back showing no signs of life. He was bleeding from the back of his head.”

The court heard that the ambulance arrived four minutes after the emergency call was made, but attempts to resuscitate him on the way to hospital were unsuccessful.

CCTV clips show the defendant entering Ryton Street Off Licence an hour before the assault.

He can be seen wearing a white T-shirt with a red jumper tied around his shoulders.

Later CCTV footage shows a person wearing white running towards the scene of the altercation outside Burton. Mr Kitchens can then be seen falling to the ground.

Hours later the teenage suspect was arrested at his home. Police later seized a red jumper from the property, but the youth denies having ever seen it before.

The white T-shirt, however, has never been recovered.

Said Mr Gibbs: “If the red top isn’t the one he was wearing that day, where is it? And where is that white T-shirt?”

“Has someone disposed of them thinking they could be linked with Glen Kitchens’ death?

The trial continues.