Gainsborough: Man admits assaulting a mother and her daughter

A Gainsborough man who admitted assaulting a mother and daughter has been given a community order.

By The Newsroom
Friday, 1st November 2013, 12:24 pm

Paul Bidewell, 42, of Dickenson Terrace, could have faced a jail sentence after admitting to attacking the two women in September.

But Worksop magistrates instead issued him with a 24-month community order and a 20-month supervision order.

Mr Bidewell committed the offences at his ex-partner’s house in Retford.

The court heard how he had been accused by his ex-partner of having an affair with another woman after he had gone to meet her in a local pub.

Mr Bidewell said this was not the case, but when he returned to the house he found his bags had been packed and his ex-partner telling him to leave.

Ian Pridham, defending, said: “Due to an unusual arrangement, he had been driving his partner’s car for everyday use while she had driven his.”

“His tools were still in the back of his partner’s car and he wanted to get them out and put them into his, but she refused to hand him the keys.”

“A sort of tug-of-war over the keys then developed as she wouldn’t let go them.”

“He then accepts that, in the heat of the moment, the stress he was feeling, added to by the fact he had been drinking, caused him to lose his temper and he lashed out at the woman and struck her.”

The court was told the woman’s daughter heard what was happening and tried to intervene and Bidewell pushed her away by pushing her in the chest.

“His partner thought that he had grabbed the girl by the throat he insists that was definitely not the case and he simply pushed her firmly in the chest,” said Mr Pridham.

“Mr Bidewell has had long term relationships before and there have never been any incidents like this before.”

“This was simply a momentary lapse of control.”

In addition to the 24-month community order and 20-month supervision order, chairman of the bench Mrs Law ordered Bidewell to undertake a Build a Better Relationships programme.

He was also ordered to pay the two women total compensation of £150, as well as an £85 contribution towards court costs and a £60 victim surcharge.